Bringing coral home via Delta

mcphock

Market
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with bringing coral home on a plane?

The TSA website makes no provisions for Coral, but says that live fish are only permitted in carry-on bags and are excluded from the 3oz requirement. (But are subject to additional search).

The Delta rep I talked to said that coral is permitted, but must be in a checked bag.

I have moved coral on Delta. Used a cooler and checked in baggage. Made sure to tape it up very well and had no problems.

It's a relatively short flight... about 60 minutes... hope the styrofoam can keep it relatively temperature safe while in cargo. It's supposed to be 70 here, so at least that's working in my favor.

McPhock;943393 wrote: It's a relatively short flight... about 60 minutes... hope the styrofoam can keep it relatively temperature safe while in cargo. It's supposed to be 70 here, so at least that's working in my favor.

You should be fine with that.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I've known people to hop on flights with frags without water. They ended up fine.

We have coral and fish in our planes all the time, however they are in styrofoam boxes in one of the heated cargo bays. I would be weary bringing anything with liquid/water through TSA, never know who you are going to get that may not like it.

Hmmmm. So the consensus is Yes on the plane, but Split on carry-on vs cargo.

As a revenue passenger I would be concerned about bringing a coral through TSA with water. The liquid police may take it away from you, especially if it's over 3oz. of water.

Jetlink82;943442 wrote: As a revenue passenger I would be concerned about bringing a coral through TSA with water. The liquid police may take it away from you, especially if it's over 3oz. of water.

Don't use water.

Report from the front line: tsa wouldn't permit it me to carry on. After 30 minutes of deliberation Delta allowed me to check the coral, but only if it was in my suitcase. I hope packing the coral in between socks and underwear, in a styrofoam cooler, which is wrapped in shirts, then in my suitcase.....is enough to keep em warm for a 60 minute flight

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

Also, the desk lady said to just check the bag next and don't say anything about the coral.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

Back