Bristleworm control

ThaGlasMan1

Supporting
Reaction score
What would you all consider the best and safest addition to my tanks to control bristleworms? My tanks do have hermits, snails, and softies in them. I have a 75 gallon, and a 36 gallon (if that makes any difference).

They help by consuming detritus. Are they out of control in your tank?

I have heard that arrow crabs will eat them. I just bought one to help eliminate some of the spaghetti worms in my tank.

The best way is to cut down on feeding. more food = more bristle worms. Arrow crabs will eat them but can be a PIA when they get bigger. Coral banded shrimp and 6 line wrasses will also eat them. I have used a worm trap before with good results too

I've never heard of them causing issues before. I find them to be useful clean up crew. As Doberman said arrow crabs are generally thought to hunt them but I don't believe anything will fully eliminate them other than a full tank tear down and destroying the rock. Their population will self control based on food.

Crabs have their own set of risks and head aches. I'm in the anti-crab camp aside from a couple emeralds.

The best way is to cut down on feeding. more food = more bristle worms. Arrow crabs will eat them but can be a PIA when they get bigger. Coral banded shrimp and 6 line wrasses will also eat them. I have used a worm trap before with good results too
I was thinking about making a trap for them. Seems like it would be easy to do.

I got an orchid dottyback, six line, and emerald. The dottyback doesn’t really do anything and the six line will pick at the eggs I assume but won’t eat anything bigger than it’s mouth. The emerald does a better job at keeping the numbers down.
I made a 5 inch box trap the other day if you’d like a file to 3d print.

I got an orchid dottyback, six line, and emerald. The dottyback doesn’t really do anything and the six line will pick at the eggs I assume but won’t eat anything bigger than it’s mouth. The emerald does a better job at keeping the numbers down.
I made a 5 inch box trap the other day if you’d like a file to 3d print.
That would be great!

I have 3 in different tanks and have never seen them attack snails, crabs or other shrimp
I have had several over the years and have never seen them attack a snail or crab. In fact I have one now that my yellow tang nestles up to and he picks stuff off of him.

Back