Brittle sea star

crowe

Market
Reaction score
I was walking past my tank and only had the moon light on and caught a glimpse of a creature I have never seen in my tank. It quickly hide back the small cave it was in front of so now I cant see it but I looked on liveaquaria.com and believe it was a bristle sea star. I could only see 3 legs and judging from that I would say it is about the size of a quarter. Any one dealt with these before?....Pros...Cons..

I value your info greatly!

The arm span was the size of a quarter, or the body itself was the size of a quarter? I have a ton of micro brittles in my sump and 2 larger brittles in my display (one is about 11" tip to tip). They're fine and may stick their arms out in the air to catch stuff floating by.

au01st;323265 wrote: The arm span was the size of a quarter, or the body itself was the size of a quarter? I have a ton of micro brittles in my sump and 2 larger brittles in my display (one is about 11" tip to tip). They're fine and may stick their arms out in the air to catch stuff floating by.

Sorry I meant brittle not bristel LOL. Judging from the length that was visible of his arms I would estimate it to be between a quarter and silver dollar in total diameter.

I had one in a piece of LR when I set my tank up, but I somehow doubt he made it through the cycle. I haven't seen him since about a week after setup. I wouldn't mind seeing those tentacles poke out of a crack... now that I think of it, I haven't seen my big bristleworm since then either.

I rarely see mine in the day time, and only if I look in a few spots where I know they hang out. At night time right up at the front of the tank there's a bunch of creepy tentacles sticking out of the rockwork.

Just out of curiosity, can they bite?

cr500_af;323295 wrote: I had one in a piece of LR when I set my tank up, but I somehow doubt he made it through the cycle. I haven't seen him since about a week after setup. I wouldn't mind seeing those tentacles poke out of a crack... now that I think of it, I haven't seen my big bristleworm since then either.

My tank has long been cycled so I really hope he makes it. Isn't it awesome to find things poking out of the live rock you didn't even know you had!

au01st;323298 wrote: I rarely see mine in the day time, and only if I look in a few spots where I know they hang out. At night time right up at the front of the tank there's a bunch of creepy tentacles sticking out of the rockwork.

Just out of curiosity, can they bite?

liveaquaria.com says they are semi aggressive!:D

I suspect mine of all sorts of villany, he is about 12" in diameter and would be titanically difficult to get out. He is guilty by suspicion of looking EVIL. Who else could be my sniper? I think he has been have small fish bites every couple of months or so. As soon as I get the fuge setup he is moving. :mad2:

I have a very large Brittle Star in my 70G. The thing is huge. It has not done anything destructive and it has been in the tank for as long as I can remember. This is the tank that my pairs spawn in and it never has affected any spawining or eggs. If you are worried about it, I agree moving it to the sump would be fine.

There are several different types of brittle stars, some safe some not. Green brittle stars are predatorey fish eaters. I am pretty sure that what you have is either a micro brittle which is good or a baby serpent star, I have several thousand of each in my systems. Keep your eye on him and watch how he grows. You will see him just look at the tank when feeding and at night.

Back