Brittle Starfish?

Alanm60

Market
Reaction score
Tiny creatures about 1/2 inch long in the live rock. You can just see the little arms..they rarely are out and about. They love living in the media basket as well. Theres a bunch of them are they detrimental? Im sure they must have come in on some rocks.

Yep. Quite a few species out there. I have a mostly white type and another type that is light tan and darker brown alternating bands.

Neat freebie cleanup crew.

a little over a year ago one popped up on my glass now i have so many its hard to count its interesting how quickly they grow and reproduce

'micro' brittle stars are how I've heard most folks refer to them. They are good, I guess, but they are absolutely everywhere in my frag tank. I mean everywhere. Not harm done.

a little over a year ago one popped up on my glass now i have so many its hard to count its interesting how quickly they grow and reproduce
On your glass? Those might be a different thing, asterina starfish. Also generally harmless but most people lump them in the pest category due to population booms. Very rare instances of them eating various corals. It's probably 1 of 100 species that eat corals or them eating already dying coral and being blamed for it.

On your glass? Those might be a different thing, asterina starfish. Also generally harmless but most people lump them in the pest category due to population booms. Very rare instances of them eating various corals. It's probably 1 of 100 species that eat corals or them eating already dying coral and being blamed for it.
yea i meant asterina starfish i misread the topic lol

I have a ton of micro brittles as well...so many that sometimes I wonder if their population will reach a natural equilibrium with the tank.
Plus they've got to be pooping and generating waste as well...but they dont seem to bother any corals.

Sometimes when I'm moving frag plugs around - I'll accidentally rip an arm off and think to myself "GD it I just made another one", lol

I have a ton of micro brittles as well...so many that sometimes I wonder if their population will reach a natural equilibrium with the tank.
Plus they've got to be pooping and generating waste as well...but they dont seem to bother any corals.

Sometimes when I'm moving frag plugs around - I'll accidentally rip an arm off and think to myself "GD it I just made another one", lol
Ill take some off your hands

@york1 - if you're ever in the Stone Mtn area, I'll hook you up too. In fact, if anyone wants some, just hit me up and I can give you plenty.

Back