Broadcast Feedimg SPS

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
Sps experts, do you ever broadcast feed your tank? Currently my tank has low nutrients, and coral are doing fine. I'm thinking about turning off main pump, and adding some reef roids to the tank to provide some nutrients, and feed the coral. Would it be a waste of food, or would it be benificial to the corals.
Thoughts

I have been feeding 3-4mg of photo, marine snow or zooplankton nightly. Major flow in the tank 75g with 3 RW8's at 50% and I keep ALL the pumps on when feeding.

dball711;1067498 wrote: I have been feeding 3-4mg of photo, marine snow or zooplankton nightly. Major flow in the tank 75g with 3 RW8's at 50% and I keep ALL the pumps on when feeding.

How have the corals responded? More growth, better polyp extension, etc.?

Be very careful using any of that dry "reef/coral" food. I tried some of it for a while and noticed no significant improvements in anything. If your not careful and add too much, you could easily throw your water chemistry out of whack.

I rely solely on Rod's Original Blend to feed my fish and to provide any extra nutrients that my corals "may" need. I also feed Neptune's Crossover diet with my auto feeder. They say that it is coated with stuff that corals can consume (likely just dried cyclopeeze), but I haven't seen any differences either way with using it.

I don't use any specific-for-coral foods. Those are mostly BS.

I do a 'storm' feeding where the entire tank is swarming with a blend of foods. Tank goes nuts during. I'll try and take a video/pic of it once. It's pretty cool.

Anyhoo, the corals freak out: HUGE polyp extension, etc. Never seen any adverse effects.

Skriz;1067505 wrote: I don't use any specific-for-coral foods. Those are mostly BS.

I do a 'storm' feeding where the entire tank is swarming with a blend of foods. Tank goes nuts during. I'll try and take a video/pic of it once. It's pretty cool.

Anyhoo, the corals freak out: HUGE polyp extension, etc. Never seen any adverse effects.

"HUGE" polyp extension huh, :yes:
We don't need to see any videos...

I'm using Continuum products, its been about 2 months and I have seen a slight lift in color but growth seems to have increased noticeably. During the day I feed the tank with LRS reef frenzy.

Back