broke tank! fixed tank!

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
got a broke tank?
don't toss it, fix it!
120gal 5 foot tank broken in transport, front panel.
replacement glass form glass cage at a great total shipped price!
rtv 103 black silicone.
little elbow grease.

before and after shots, I'll post more at leak test!

ask me if and how too, not to do please, its a hobby not a job. (I'm a slave to time)

Nice. My tank is broke too. I haven't put any money in it in months. LOL

porpoiseaquatics;1043298 wrote: Is it me or does that replacement panel look a little short in height? Nice job though. I hope the leak test works out.

Yep, the replacement was measured with the top trim on and is 3/8" short but gets covered when the trim goes back on.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1043299 wrote: Yep, the replacement was measured with the top trim on and is 3/8" short but gets covered when the trim goes back on.

I thought maybe it was and that it did so it was of no real concern. Nice job Marlon!

rdnelson99;1043248 wrote: Nice. My tank is broke too. I haven't put any money in it in months. LOL

You are the reason I come back every day Rich

And after a week and more of leak test, she has passed with flying colors!:up:
Woohoo!:yes:
Time to get it out of there and back to where it came from.:cheers:

Marlon, that was SO nice of you!

Truth be told, I encouraged a new member to buy Marlons old set up (that he got back after selling once). Knowing how nice it looked and what a great, honest guy he is...

She buys it, picks it up but doesn't unload it for a week. Somehow sitting in the back of the truck (not in use and covered) it got cracked! Big bummer, but who do you think saves her day! You sweetheart!

And, two night ago I woke up at 2:30 to my Apex Siren going off and text messages for water alert...

Before I went to bed I heard my Tunze pump sucking air. So I tossed in the airline tubing, switched on the water valve for 10 minutes (ate a bowl of ice cream) shut off the valve (1 of 2 valves) in the dark and went to bed. Obviously, I flipped the wrong valve.
I would have had a HUGE mess had Marlon not installed a BOB and water detector for me about a year ago when I was worried about it!
Thanks Bud, your the BEST!

Marlon, you are an asset to the club. You set a wonderful example for the rest of us to follow. Nice move bud.

What is the secret to removing the top trim. I had to cut the last one I removed and couldn't reuse it.

JBDreefs;1045209 wrote: What is the secret to removing the top trim. I had to cut the last one I removed and couldn't reuse it.

Well I tell tell you man those tops are no fun but if the tank is broken then start with that side, very sharp thin knife under the rim all the way around inside and out to cut away the silicone and then pry from inside the tank under the trim ( I used two 4" sheet rock mud knives ).
It take some work and is a pain in the butt, but it can be done!

That was super nice of you Marlon, too nice! Anyone who hasn't shopped at the Marlon Store yet should know that they can buy with confidence ;)

My wife and I still haven't setup or leak tested that 93 gallon we got from you yet, but I know if there's a problem you got our back :)

Great job sir! Some day I'll get you to teach me the right way to rebuild a tank. Well maybe not. Lol

Bcavalli;1045412 wrote: Great job sir! Some day I'll get you to teach me the right way to rebuild a tank. Well maybe not. Lol

don't break it and we wont have to fix it.....lol:doh:

quick update, water test was solid.
tank went to it's new home and got plumb up and on it's cycle at the moment.
this tank has been in my life for a while and will be tracking it's movement for some time to come.

picture loaded on the side so just turn your head, hehe.

Back