Broken front panel, replacement possible?

shock

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for some info and/or advice. My 20 gallon starfire tank did not survive the shipping process. The front panel is broken in a number of ways -- a few chunks missing, cracked -- mostly in the area of the bottom left corner. I didn't do a super thorough look (since I've been pretty bummed out), but I believe only the front panel was damaged. Is there any way to salvage this tank?

This particular tank was custom made and acquired from a previous owner.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I probably don't have the tools or skill to repair it myself, but I thought I'd inquire if it's even possible.

Well, it's not your typical 20 gallon from Petsmart, but I get your point.

It's a custom AIO that is no longer being made.

got a picture of the tank?
is it clear or black silicone?
does it have plastic trim on the top or and bottom?

do you know what the thickness of the glass is?
do you want to replace it with starfire or plane glass?

Glass size is 1/4" Thick (5.7 mm). The panel would be 18 x 16 inches.

Ideally, I'd replace it with starfire (low iron) glass.

In the pictures I didn't bother to remove some of the tape and other packing materials.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

well the good news is that it looks like the other panels are fine and didn't get damaged.
if you can get your hands on a tube of rtv103 silicone (or stock black aquarium silicone at one of our lfs) which is black and your glass (which your might have to order) and if your willing to drop it off in woodstock, i'll see what i can do for you.
let me know.

I'd be more than happy to drop it off at your place after I've acquired the needed things. I'm going to find out the best way to obtain a new panel. I'll send you a PM if you don't mind.

Much appreciated.

I have a great hook up on starfire glass. And can be tempered if u want or not... that size would be 20 dollars or less..

Text me if you are interested

770 940 9755

shock;1072899 wrote: I'd be more than happy to drop it off at your place after I've acquired the needed things. I'm going to find out the best way to obtain a new panel. I'll send you a PM if you don't mind.

Much appreciated.

no biggie.
do it!

shock;1072899 wrote: I'd be more than happy to drop it off at your place after I've acquired the needed things. I'm going to find out the best way to obtain a new panel. I'll send you a PM if you don't mind.

Much appreciated.

Just so you know, Marlon knows very well how to reseal a tank. Keep that on the down low or folks may overwhelm him with request. :D:lol2: If I'm out of the hospital and able to attend Saturday's meeting , I'll give Marlon a tube of RTV 103 for you.

Urbanknight;1072915 wrote: Just so you know, Marlon knows very well how to reseal a tank. Keep that on the down low or folks may overwhelm him with request. :D:lol2: If I'm out of the hospital and able to attend Saturday's meeting , I'll give Marlon a tube of RTV 103 for you.

We hope everything is ok,and you get well .It will be good to see you at the meeting.If not, I know there already planning another interesting one.

Fishlips;1072920 wrote: We hope everything is ok,and you get well .It will be good to see you at the meeting.If not, I know there already planning another interesting one.

James, thank you for the kind words.:up:

Everything looks good. Been taking it slow. I'll take a pic and post it here.

The only concern I have is about the back right seam which you didn't (need to) re-silicone. It's not leaking and there is nothing to indicate it will, but there is some separation between the panels. I think it's been that way since I got it back.

Thanks again for all your help.

Back