Brooklynella took control. Now what?

scooter413

Market
Reaction score
I lost the battle of the brooklynella with a pair of clowns. They were isolated to a Quarantine tank that is part of a larger system but shut off from the rest. Do I need to dump the sand or bleach the tank to make sure nothing is transferred to the new fish.

Your best bet is going to be moving any remaining fish to a hospital tank, and leaving your display tank fishless for at least six weeks. Fish are the only things that have to be removed, as nothing else we commonly keep in our tanks can host it.

If you have other fish that were in the same tank, you're going to have to treat them as well even if they didn't show signs of the disease, as they are still very likely playing host for brook. The best treatment is a regiment of formalin dips, but I don't recall the scheduling/timing/dosing for them. Perhaps someone else can speak to that for you.

I feel your pain on this one, as my display tank have been fallow since the 2nd of this month, and I am leaving it so until the first week of March. It's a bit extended, but I don't want to ever deal with ich/brook/flukes again if I can help it.

scooter413;1011193 wrote: I lost the battle of the brooklynella with a pair of clowns. They were isolated to a Quarantine tank that is part of a larger system but shut off from the rest. Do I need to dump the sand or bleach the tank to make sure nothing is transferred to the new fish.

After rereading your initial post, I think it would be good for me to clarify that any fish that were in the same water column as your fish that were infected will need to be treated. If that means twenty tanks worth of fish that are served by a series of manifolds with one shared water system, well, I suggest you buy a lot of formalin... :yuk:

Back