Brown algae growth on sand and rocks

mikesmith34

Market
Reaction score
I've had this stuff in my tank forever. Params are solid. Full test every Friday. I've vacuum the stuff off the sand bed and 2 days later it's back. It will form a brown dusting on my rocks and such and I just use a turkey baster to blow it off during WC. Your going to ask so 1.024 n1ppm po4 2-4 ppm Dkh 9 temp 80 cal 450. I have 4 korlia 1400 on a wave maker. Plenty of flow. So the only thing I can think of is the MH 20k bulbs need to be replaced. Does any one think lighting could be the problem with spectrum shift they are supposed to be 9 months old??? At first I thought it was Dino's and would go away. That was 9 months ago it's still hear. It really takes away from the beauty of the tank. Someone please help.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
935366=51868-image.jpg
>
935366=51868-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Looks like diatoms to me.
What are you using for filtration? I started dosing vodka a few weeks ago and I am already noticing a difference in my tank.

Same thing happened to me but I had t5's. They were about 10-11 months old and the week I took them off and got new bulbs the algae died. I don't know if it's the same with MH.You can also use chemi-clean. I usually don't recommend chemicals in the reef tank but it actually worked good in my 90gallon. So good luck.

Wait vodka??? Didn't know you can dose that.

I have the same problem going on- changed all my lights, been changing GFO weekly, started peroxide dosing which helped a bit but still there. Been an issue for the last month

If you guys ever want to...use chemi-clean. But only use it in an established tank. If you tank is 1-3 months old it probably new tank syndrome and should go away eventually.

When i increase bacteria in tank, brown algae disappear.....but bad light it's can possible cause!

Curtismaximus;935374 wrote: Looks like diatoms to me.
What are you using for filtration? I started dosing vodka a few weeks ago and I am already noticing a difference in my tank.
I meant Diatoms duhh

Edit:
I_will_always_learn;935386 wrote: If you guys ever want to...use chemi-clean. But only use it in an established tank. If you tank is 1-3 months old it probably new tank syndrome and should go away eventually.

Ive used red slime remover and it did help a little. But it just comes back

Do you have some critters that are agitating the sand bed? Diatom blooms are often fueled by silica.

Curtismaximus;935374 wrote: Looks like diatoms to me.

Felt Sock, fuge, skimmer. It was on about week 3-4 that I really noticed a huge differance in the polishing of the water and the skim mate turns very dark. 4-6 wks the SPS start to respond with better coloration. So far that has been my experience. It just went to a maintenance dose of 2ml a day. At 3.5ml the slime bacteria started getting a little more than I was comfortable with and my N-1ppm and PO4-.02 so i backed off as the instructions stated. It has been the best thing Ive done for my tank bar none. Now if I can get this brown crap under control Ill be happy.

Im going to switch to the 2-wp25s and also change out my lights to Oshio 14k. Hopefully (fingers crossed) the will solve the problem.

Edit:
Ringo®;935430 wrote: Do you have some critters that are agitating the sand bed? Diatom blooms are often fueled by silica.

No not really. Got a few hermits. The biggest stirrer I have is my fighting Conch but he is pretty lazy really. If I knew exactly what it was I would feel more comfortable being able to address the issue.

Ringo®;935444 wrote: Where are you getting your water from? Running any GFO?

Water from my brs 5 stage. TDS at zero. I run carbon and GFO in a single brs reactor . Change it out every 2 weeks at water change . Sometimes I go 3 weeks on WC but no longer ever.

Have any hermit crabs to pick away a the sandbed? Only thing I've found is to have something stirring it up every few hours to keep the brown down.

Haven't made time to get a test for silicates to see if levels are fueling the growth. Would if I were keeping SPS, but as mine is a macro & softy lagoon tank with a little bit of large polyps stony corals I haven't seen the need.

Agreed on it likely being diatoms. I will say that I've had a hit from this due to a failing membrane in my RO/DI.

Test for silicates. I remember reading an article a few years ago about how high silicate water can cause a membrane of an RO/DI unit to fail prematurely. Probably worth the cost of the test kit to find out the truth.

Oil_Fan;935621 wrote: Agreed on it likely being diatoms. I will say that I've had a hit from this due to a failing membrane in my RO/DI.

Test for silicates. I remember reading an article a few years ago about how high silicate water can cause a membrane of an RO/DI unit to fail prematurely. Probably worth the cost of the test kit to find out the truth.

Very interesting. I was not aware of a silica test. I will give it a look. Where would it come from if quality marine grade crushed coral and sand were used. I'm beginning to understand what some peeps like a bare bottom. I work very hard a keeping my tank show room ready only to be out done by this brown sh...:yuk:

I'm going to order new 14k bulbs and see if it makes a difference. It's time for new ones anyway.

I just went through the same thing. I added phosguard into my filtration and got 3 turbo snails in about a week it was all gone.

michaelf1478;936338 wrote: I just went through the same thing. I added phosguard into my filtration and got 3 turbo snails in about a week it was all gone.

I run GFO in a reactor. My snails don't touch the stuff, neither does my fighting conch

Back