Brown Algae

camg

Market
Reaction score
Tomorrow my 75gal will have been cycling for 3 weeks. I have had lots of brown algae growth within the last week The day after I bought some rock I noticed there was some growing on it, so I think that is mostly where it has come from. How do I get rid of this? Thanks Guys!!!

i know it is part of the cycle of a tank to have brown algae blooms......alot of people are probably going to know what your set up looks like to help you out so here are some questions you should prob. just go ahead and answer so people can help you out a little faster.
do you have a sump?
do you have a skimmer?
what kind of lights do you have on the tank?
what kind of circulation do you have in the tank powerheads etc??

just post up basically everythign about your tank and then you will be able to figure out where to go from there.......not that im an expert i have just asked this same algae question and people needed to know these things in order to help me better solve my problem.

what are your nitrate levels? phosphates?

you can kill your lights for a couple of days, that'll kill it off.

it's normal. No need to test for anything. It's not your flow, it's not your lights, it's not your skimmer...it's part of the cycle.

A cleanup crew will take care of it when it's time.

Well I dont have a skimmer, no sump, and I have 4- 48" t-5's that were off for 5 days and that didnt help. I have 3 power heads that are rated 1- at 400gal. and hour and the others are 250. But, If it is just apart of the cycle I guess there is nothing I can do. After the cycle, will it go away on its own?

camg;197134 wrote: Well I dont have a skimmer, no sump, and I have 4- 48" t-5's that were off for 5 days and that didnt help. I have 3 power heads that are rated 1- at 400gal. and hour and the others are 250. But, If it is just apart of the cycle I guess there is nothing I can do. After the cycle, will it go away on its own?
no you will need a clean up crew i had the same thing. did you use ro water or tap water? i bet you used tap bc i did also and was told to start with ro water when you do water changes

yeah use RO water and get a clean up crew they will knock it out for you.......and do your best to get a skimmer.

also what are your water params?

Back