Browning Out of SPS

tsunami

Market
Reaction score
I was wondering if it is just excess light that causes the browning out of SPS? Also, keep hearing that there is never to much light with SPS, so is it just that the light was too much too fast or..?

Brown outs can happen for alot of reasons, mostly water quality. Light can be a factor so if you tell us what your lights,tank size, and water levels ie: cal, alk, nitrates, mag., ect. we may be able to help.

O, don't have a problem. At least not yet. This guy was selling some brown out coral for a discount and I was wondering what a brown out was and the cause of it. Thanks Kzoo.

A lot of factors as mentioned but to much light is very very rarely the case. to much light will usually cause them to be washed out and light in color rather then brown.

Thanks Rit and everyone. Rit I thought you were stopping, but you keep buying more and more stuff. LOL!!

My experience leads me to believe that a light losing its PAR or a shift in light spectrum toward a lower kelvin causes browning more often than other symptoms. Poor water quality tends to cause necrosis (although beginning stages do cause a browning effect) and too much lighting too quickly causes bleaching just from my experience. Each coral is different and will react differently in each circumstance, but I would start with the light.

Back