BRS DUAL GFO and Carbon Reactor

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">There where a few discussions lately about running carbon and/or GFO together or separate.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I came a cross this product from bulk reef supply: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/p679/BRS-%22DUAL%22-GFO-and-Carbon-Reactor/product_info.html">link <--</a></span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Seems like a nice, easy and inexpensive combination. Anybody has any experience with this?</span>

That might fit my needs.

Is there any drawback to running them together?

Nothing wrong with using them together. In fact, you can mix the two media together in the same reactor. This will help prevent the GFO from lumping together and becoming ineffective. This does entail that you change the media on it's proper schedule though (but you should be doing that anyway!).

the only drawback I would see would be that you would have to run the carbon REALLY SLOW (as thats whats necessary for GFO). I always ran water through the carbon MUCh faster, but tahtw as just me.

True, but it won't hurt to run the water throught the carbon slowly.

I have mine in series in 2 twolittlefishes reactors. no issues. That little idea from bulkreefsupply looks pretty compact.

Back