Brute Container Salt Mixing

gort

Market
Reaction score
question, my Brute has gotten brown on the inside after a few years of mixing salt...think that's ok? I cant rinse it off and don't want to put anything in there to clean it.

I'd fill it with warm water and add vinegar. Should do the trick. Or you could just get a new one if you're worried. I think it'd be fine though n

yep same here, but if you do it often enough, every 3 to 6 months I feel like a 1 gallon bottle of water to a 32 gallon trashcan gets it nice an clean. I guess the rule is the more you need to clean the more vinegar you need.

GaJeep94YJ;1060182 wrote: So what causes the brown gunk?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Precipitation of minerals in the mix from my understanding.

I haven't had any negative problems in the past. But if it's minerals sticking to the barrel it's definitely not going in your tank. Which I would prefer to get all of it in my tank since I paid for it.

Since i started up my large tank build and actually mixing full bags of salt in a batch, i was shocked at how dirty the water was after mixing a whole bag. Used to do it in 16 gallon batches and wasn't so noticable, now it's quite obvious as the brown either sticks to the side of the barrel or settles on to the bare bottom glass in the frag tanks. I'm using reef crystals currently.

Back