Bryopsis Synopsis Discussion

tjherman

Market
Reaction score
Here's the gist of the presentation by Seachem's Lindsey Kayal at http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33824">tonight's meeting</a>. Lindsey also presented at MACNA. I found the information very interesting, albeit very scientific. I'll try to relay the major points of the presentation using as little jargon as possible. :thumbs:

[B]Main Points[/B]

<ul>
<li>Identification</li>
<li>Life cycle</li>
<li>Control methods</li>
<li>Product goals & development</li>
</ul>

[B]What is Bryopsis?[/B]

<ul>
<li>It is a common nuisance macroalgae</li>
<li>It is commonly called [I]hair algae </em>(a general term)</li>
<li>There are 50 species of bryopsis</li>
<li>It is commonly confused with macroalgae such as Derbasia (20 species), Cladophora, and Psuedoderbasia</li>
</ul>
[B]Identification of Bryopsis[/B]

<ul>
<li>Exact species and identification requires genetic testing, but you can view the algae under a microscope to see its structure</li>
<li>Distichous branches -- feathery leaves arranged in two rows</li>
<li>Rhizoids -- slender filaments that attach to rocks</li>
<li>Multi-nucleated cells (multiple nuclei in each cell so if a cell is injured, it can easily create a new cell from a free-floating nucleus)</li>
</ul>
[B]Life Cycle[/B]

<ul>
<li>It is a higher form of algae that has two morphological phases
[LIST]</li>
<li>sporophytes (asexual reproduction)</li>
<li>gametophytes (sexual reproduction)</li>
</ul>

[*]It can be one gender or both genders
[/list]
This means that bryopsis is a reproductive machine! No wonder it multiples so quickly.[INDENT][I][B]Repair Mechanisms[/B]</em>
If you weren't afraid of Bryopsis before, you will be after this part!

<ul>
<li>After 1 minute from injury, Bryopsis forms an actin network and plugs the injury (think of blood clotting)</li>
<li>Within minutes, the injury is closed with a new cell membrane and wall formed</li>
<li>40% of Bryopsis will regenerate from an injury.</li>
</ul>
Essentially, if you pull off the Bryopsis, you're just starting this process. By the way, optimum pH for this process is 8 to 9!
[/INDENT][B]Control Methods[/B][INDENT][I][B]Biological Control[/B]</em>
[/INDENT][INDENT]
<ul>
<li>Sea urchins (some species)</li>
<li>Crabs</li>
<li>Grazing fish like tangs and rabbitfish (hit or miss)</li>
<li>Sea slugs and nudis</li>
</ul>
Although safe, there's no guarantee that biological control of Bryopsis will work. Specific species of sea urchins, slugs, etc. prefer specific species of Bryopsis. You wouldn't know which exact species you have without testing, so trying to find a match could be slow and costly.
[/INDENT][INDENT][I][B]Nutrient Control[/B]</em>

<ul>
<li>The obvious reduction of phosphates, nitrates, and DOC.</li>
<li>Water changes!</li>
<li>This is the safest long-term control of Bryopsis. It isn\'t, however, instant gratification. Sorry, no BOOM! and Bryopsis is gone.</li>
</ul>
[I][B]Shifting Environmental Conditions[/B]</em>

<ul>
<li>pH can be elevated to 8.5-8.6 for 2-3 weeks</li>
<li>Remove infected live rock and boil or freeze</li>
<li>Shorter photoperiods since Bryopsis doesn\'t like the dark</li>
</ul>
[/INDENT][INDENT][I][B]Chemical Control[/B]</em>
[/INDENT][INDENT]Primarily algaecides, antibiotics, and heavy metals such as copper or zinc are used. Note that antibiotics have little effect on macroalgae like Bryopsis.

Common chemicals such as Triazine usually comes with sulfate, carbonate, calcium, and phosphate in the mix. Check ingredients! Triazine acts as an endocrine disruptor in fish, which is not good. It is also not selective enough to just target Bryopsis. It inhibits photosynthesis in algae [I]and corals</em>.

Quaternary Ammonium Compound is a nitrogen containing compound packaged with phosphates. It is absorbed by corals as well. QAC is also less effective in tanks where there's more organics. It is also not specific to Bryopsis. It can be removed by filtration. In cases of continued use, corals show signs of stress.

[B]If you use chemicals, make sure you:[/B]

<ol>
<li>Follow the directions.</li>
<li>Read the ingredients!</li>
</ol>
[/INDENT][B]Seachem's Research[/B]

Seachem is developing a product that will control/reduce Bryopsis that will not be considered an algaecide. Someone suggested that Seachem's Flourish be used as a method of Bryopsis control, which sparked off the idea for research. Kayal does not recommend this product for Bryopsis control.

As a baseline, Seachem tested extreme nutrient control. They did 100% water changes every day. In 7 to 10 days, Bryopsis did die-off. It became the baseline standard for testing additional products. Of course, we can't do 100% water changes, but it does support nutrient export as a control method.

QAC was only slightly effective and discolored Bryopsis.

Magnesium supplements were tested as well. No heavy metals are added with magnesium supplements. Seachem did magnesium levels of 1600 to 2200 ppm for three weeks. Ideally enough magnesium would be added to raise levels by 400ppm.

Kent Tech M and Seachem's products showed little reduction of Bryopsis. Anecdotal evidence on Reef Central suggests that Tech M is hit or miss. [B]Note: [/B]Tim from Keen Reef piped in and said he used Tech M with good results, but it returned after 5 weeks.

Seachem's solution is to create a product that will target the genes in Bryopsis that allow it to heal itself. The product would essentially make its cell membranes leak. Early testing shows that little healing occurs after injury.

This product is a year or more away, so for now we must combat Bryopsis using the other methods!

[B]Closing Thoughts[/B]

When asked what her recommendations for Bryopsis control would be, Lindsey answered:

<ul>
<li>Nutrient control</li>
<li>Patience</li>
</ul>

Okay, sorry for the length. I hope that is enough to fill in everybody that didn't get to attend the meeting. Now, what's worked for others? :yes:

Jeez Tamara! Someone was on the ball.. I could remember all of that but no way I could have posted that detailed info! Thanks a ton, those that missed out on this meeting will have a great point to go back to to do even more in depth digging on this super pest!

Enjoyed speaking with you this evening also!

Thanks so much for posting that!!!

And yes, at Seachem they get seriously into the SCIENCE behind why their products work (I spent 2 full days in their classroom!)

I appreciate the synopsis... would have loved to have made the meeting.

Jenn

Thanks for posting! I didn't get off work til 7:20 which kind of blew my chances of making it.

Nice write up, quick and to the point.

And you did it without a slide show.......

DrNecropolis wrote: Jeez Tamara! Someone was on the ball.. I could remember all of that but no way I could have posted that detailed info! Thanks a ton, those that missed out on this meeting will have a great point to go back to to do even more in depth digging on this super pest!

Well, I took lots of notes! Then organized it and tried to simplify it a little so everyone didn't have to worry about organelles, gametes, or DNA open reading frames. :D

You're welcome, everyone. It was no problem. I believe that Lindsey Kayal also said that if any of us were interested in more of the research, she would get us in touch with Seachem's R&D department.

Wow...thanks for posting this!! I'm surprised to hear that bryopsis can referred to as HA.

Please don't tell me that my HA is actually broypsis. Because if it is, it sounds like the only real solution is to get extreme and remove all LR to kill everything on it. I would also have to loose a bit of my live sand. :shout:

Back