BTA Help

kirru

Market
Reaction score
Well, I got a GBTA from JessPete one day last week.. thursday iirc.
Well, I have been giving it frozen silversides for two days and seemed to be doing fine. It took up residence UNDER a little hang over in my tank on the bottom. Well I was out with some family tonight and got back to find it deflated. I am not sure is wrong as this is my first nem... any siggestions? It has been fine flated with some bubbles on the tips looked great... what it wrong... thanks.

Nothing, should be normal. If it isn't inflated in a couple of days, I'd be concerned. Is the clown still hosting (if you have one....)

Clowns usually abandon a sick or dying anemone

No, my clowns ignore it for some reason... I want them to host though. thats going to be a long road. lol any ideas about that...

Something thats supposed to work is to take one of those clown fish clips;

http://www.petmountain.com/product/fish-feeders/509789/lees-classic-vegi-clip-clownfish.html">http://www.petmountain.com/product/fish-feeders/509789/lees-classic-vegi-clip-clownfish.html</a>

and put it in the tank very close to the anemone (I don't think it has any metal parts, but if it does, I'd remove them).

I was going to do this, but while the clip was on order, one of my clowns started hosting, so I didn't have to try it. The other clown isn't allowed in the anemone, but trying it now wouldn't help. You can borrow the clip if you'd like. I should be at June's meeting.

The anemone was probably defecating if it's been eating so much.

What kind of clowns? Not all clowns host in all anemones. OR sometimes it can take weeks or months to happen, if it's going to happen at all.

Jenn

I've noticed that my GBTA seems to deflate at night after the lights turn off. It happens pretty regularly, so I wouldn't be alarmed at this point. BTA's are pretty resiliant creatures.

I got my GBTA a little over a year ago when it was the size of a man's thumb and now it is the size of a dinner plate and I have never fed it. It inflates and deflates regularly. Just make sure your lighting is good and it will be fine. My Tomato Clown hosted the nem within 15 minutes of being put into the tank, but I know some members who have Clowns that never hosted.

Whew! Was so worries when I read the thread title! Perfectly normal! I'm not sure I would feed it that often and watch the size of the food you give it. Bigger food is harder to digest.

Just wait till you see it poop! Eeewwe

Well, I think it was poopin :) its back to its normal size.

I don't feed all the time just when I think of it.

Jenn, the clowns are the black and white misbars that one of them had that eye problem, Remember the pics from that thread?

Well the wait begins... maybe i can force them haha

My Picasso's ignored my GBTA for about a week after introducing them. They were REALLY tame fish (I could literally reach in and pick them up by hand) so I just pushed them over to the nem for a couple days and it took. I haven't seen them more than a couple inches from the nem since (about 4 months I guess). I think I was just really lucky though ending up with a pair of clowns that are extremely docile with no fear of humans.

If there's any way for you to force the clowns near the nem, might be worth a shot. Mine stayed in the opposite corner of the tank like they didn't even know the nem was there until I "showed" them.

I bought 2 black and white clowns from Creation Reef & Aquatics about 4 weeks ago. I put them in my 30 cube which houses 3 BTA(2 green and one Rose). They ignored these huge anenomes for 3 and half weeks. Finally, last week, the female seemed to respond to the Rose 1st. It took the male another day to figure out where his love was and that he could safely join her. Now they blissfully play in all 3 but, sleep at night in the Rose. If it's not inflated then they go to one of the GBTA. It was so cool to see them warm up to these anenomes. Be patient. By the way, Creation Reef is some find of Great store. Steve and Matt were very helpful.

Well, i can sorta get close to them but I will try that. they tend to swim during the day near where the nem is but sleep on the other side. a month of waiting won't be to bad. I'll just have to wait it out i guess if nothing else works.

Back