BTA Splitting!

rostato

Market
Reaction score
I LOVE Anemones! My GBTA is having it's second spawn in as many years. It last split the same exact time last year. I happened to be on vacation last year, so I didn't get to see it, butI am glad I get to see it now...

I woke up this morinig and did my wake up, drink coffee, and scope out the tank routine, and notice that the nem looked especially happy.

Went back to look at the tank at 4pm and noticed that it was splitting. SAWEET!

I checked the params just to make sure it was not due to stress...
Temp 80.7
PH 8.26
sal 1.027
Alk 10
Cal 480
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0

Crappy pics, but this is the best I can do.
DSC00300.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00299.jpg
alt="" />

I also moved all the powerheads so that they will not blow it with flow and stress it out. My true perc seems to be leaving it alone so it can do it's buisness.

Here is my carpet nem with it's sexy shrimp just for fun
DSC00290.jpg
alt="" />

Here is more if anyone cares:unsure:

DSC00315.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00316.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00325.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00326.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00334.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00337.jpg
alt="" />

Almost done...should be no more than an hour
DSC00342.jpg
alt="" />

DSC00345.jpg
alt="" />
DSC00346.jpg
alt="" />

And done!
DSC00355.jpg
alt="" />

This was fun to watch. I hope at least someone else found this interesting...:confused2:

Your clown now has a choice of two beds. :)
Glad you were able to see the slpit this time. Very cool.

The first split is in my nano with another clown. So this perc has her choice of three, but she always stays in the mother nem. My other clown in that tank doesnt hang out in ay of the nem. Just keeps to itself.

Here they are this morning. The spawn is trying to find a spot to recover. It ia hard to tell in the pics, but it's mouth is still completly split. It will probebly be a week or so untill it heals.:thumbs:

The mother nem
DSC00357.jpg
alt="" />

The spawn
DSC00358.jpg
alt="" />

both of them together to see how far it moved last night. I have that power head next to it off so it doesnt get sucked in...it shouldn't, but just in case
DSC00356.jpg
alt="" />

Very cool! Our BTA has split 3 times in the past 4 yrs usually around Halloween however it did not this year. It is a truly rewarding part of this hobby to watch nature in action.

chefrepo;261170 wrote: Very cool! Our BTA has split 3 times in the past 4 yrs usually around Halloween however it did not this year. It is a truly rewarding part of this hobby to watch nature in action.

Yeah, I felt like a complete fish geek yesterday. I blew off some friends to watch, and document this.:unsure: I have a problem.

Hopefully it will split again this time next year. It's like a free Christmas present from my tank!:thumbs:

Just an update. The baby nem had a turn for the worse. I don't know what happend, but two nights ago the nem was find, found a spot it liked and was eating well and healed up nicely. But right before I went to bed that night I noticed it started to move again.

So the next morning I checked on it and couldnt find it anywhere. I just figured it needed some more alone time without light to heal up or unstress.

Later last night I found the nem on the sand bed. It had tried to split again, probably as a last ditch effore to live, so I finished the job for it and split it up, and threw out the bad half of it. Now it is in a tupperware healing up. Hopefully this half will make it.

This will be my first nem casualty in a loooong time. I will not be happy. It has been a terrible week in my tank...pics to come later

pic... This morning it has seemed to have closed up. I think there may be hope. Id did not stink when I tooik it out and cut it, so it wasnt dead yet...

DSC01471.jpg
alt="" />

Barbara;267548 wrote: Dang, it seems like you're getting pounded with problems lately. I hope you get it all worked out. Sorry to hear of the troubles.

Your not kidding. I am just glad I am on break from school right now. If I was busy this would suck. The nem has attached to the live rock that is weighing the tupperware down, so I think it sould be fine. I will just leave it heal for a few weeks in there.

This was my first nem fragging experience, and I have to say it was easy for me to do since I figured it was doomed anyway. I didnt really care if I messed up. But so far so good.:thumbs:

My better half and I both love nems. The only way we would get rid of one is if we got a rose in return...

nem died today. I am glad I had it in the tupperware because it would have really messed up the tank, and man oh man did that thing stink! Kinda sucks because the thign did great for a while then went south quick. Maybe the mother nem split to save itself? I dunno...

I'm sorry man. Maybe you're right. Maybe it split to save itself. You still have one healthy anemone though and that it awesome.

Oh well. The clone from last year is still alive and doing well. I am also wondering if there was too much flow for it to relax and heal. Maybe next year if it keeps it's schedule I will move it to a less stressful environment.

Back