BTA won’t let go

CrisisReef

Market
Reaction score
Hey! I’ve got a BTA that has never shown any signs of poor health. Recently he up and moved to a spot in my tank I don’t like. In order to remove him I have the rock suspended over a bucket with its tips still touching water. He’s probably been like this for an hour now. I was wondering how long can he be like this before it gets dangerous. If anyone has another strategy I’d love to hear it! I’ve tried a credit card, Ice in a bag, tapping the foot with my finger, blasting it with a baster. I’ve gotten him to move about a year ago, but now he just won’t give up!

I just use my fingers. But ive been handling anemones for years and i know exactly what to feel for.

I never liked the ice cube, or credit card (or other tool) methods. If i cant feel the anemone, then i have no idea if im succeeding as i am doing it, or if i am hurting the anemone.

But if its a BTA, and depending on other inhabitants of the tank, turn off the light for 2 days. On the second day, he will move.

I just use my fingers. But ive been handling anemones for years and i know exactly what to feel for.

I never liked the ice cube, or credit card (or other tool) methods. If i cant feel the anemone, then i have no idea if im succeeding as i am doing it, or if i am hurting the anemone.

But if its a BTA, and depending on other inhabitants of the tank, turn off the light for 2 days. On the second day, he will move.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll probably have to try that. I think I’ve got just about the most stubborn anemone in the world.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

In my experience, if youre doing it right, stubborness never affects if i want to remove an anemone. The primary variable is accessibility. My fingers are a set width (~1 cm)... so if the anemones foot is in a small hole or crevice, then i cant physically reach. Otherwise, the natural roughness of human fingerprints and having short fingernails are the best tools.

Back