Bubble Algae Picking Party!

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Since I am combining system, my refug that has been set up for over 5 years(bought from another reefer) has to be cleaned of bubble algae before I hook it up to my system. I bought 3 Emeralds to clean out the bubble algae but the only thing I have seen them doing is using one as a beachball and throwing it back and forth! If anyone is totallly bored tomorrow and has nothing else in the world to do at all I could use some help picking bubble algae. Tweezers and a nice comfy bucket seat will be provided. I will also give you all the RO/DI water you can drink!:up: I'll even toss in a few frags for your efforts! If interested please send resume and contact information by PM!

BWA HAHAHAHAHA! Man if the inlaws weren't in town this weekend I'd be there to help ya out. Enjoy what you're about to embark upon ;)

It's a great excuse to get away from the In-laws! Just kidding I love my In-Laws. Have a great weekend!

Mark my Emeralds do the same. They hold on to the bubble algae to pick at other things. I hate this stuff!

Mark you should try a diadema urchin. I read that they are one of the few herbivorous that will eat valonia. I just want someone else to try it before I go out and spend the money on one.:D
One thing to think about is when you are removing those bubbles by hand they have propensity to burst and when they do they release hundreds of tiny spores into the water.
I think you should keep the tank as a valonia eradication experiment you could try different herbivorous and let us all know what works best.

On a different subject I have some hermit crabs that would make short work of the algae in your frag tank. I ordered too many for my tank when I had an algae bloom and now they're out of food. I got about 10 plus a few astreas and some blackfooted snails that you could borrow or I'd be willing to trade for a frag or two.

Merlin...bring them over. I am sure we can find a frag or two to trade.

I'll have to think about the urchin. If I do the picking I'll take out everything and pick them off in a seperate bucket to keep the spores out of the refug. Thanks for the idea.

Wish I had the opportunity to help you. You've been so great about supporting the club and everyone's phyto addiction.

I'm leaving on a 4 day adventure in Greenville SC tomorrow for training through the company I work for, I have SOOO much to do before I leave, wish I could help! Besides, I successfully eradicated BA from my tank. Run RO water over the rock after you pick the algae off, that will help rinse away any spores before you put it back in your tank....

Hey Mark I'm heading over to Rits to pick up some coral tomorrow at six I can drop those hermits off before or after just let me know what works best for you.
Also on my way up to that Frag meet I stopped and bought a long spine urchin at Marine fish, so I'll let you know if it lives up to its rep.

One more thing you don't happen to have any coral dip that you could spare. I've never seen a red bug and I'd like to keep it that way.:D

After 6 is fine. Good luck with the urchin. I don't have any dip, I typically jus use fresh water and a few drops of iodine. You can buy lugals but its just iodine.

calireefer;97355 wrote: Mark you should try a diadema urchin. I read that they are one of the few herbivorous that will eat valonia.

Do you remember where you read this?

Schwaggs, Its in "Reef Invertebrates" by Calfo and Fenner pg 92
In "Natural Reef Aquariums" by J. Tullock Its claimed that maintaining a high ph will limit its growth. pg 134. Also in "The Reef Aquarium" volume one by Delbeek and Sprung they claim that diadema urchins will eat valonia pg 280
Hope that helps.
Merlin

Wow - I can't believe your emeralds won't eat it. That's the only thing that worked for me when I had the big tank. They completely eradicated the bubble algae that I had. And I had quite a bit of it.

Perhaps they only eat small bubbles??

Mark I'll stop by a little after six. Melissa those zoas I got from you are doing great let me know if you ever want to trade some frags I live close by.

calireefer;97690 wrote: Schwaggs, Its in "Reef Invertebrates" by Calfo and Fenner pg 92
In "Natural Reef Aquariums" by J. Tullock Its claimed that maintaining a high ph will limit its growth. pg 134. Also in "The Reef Aquarium" volume one by Delbeek and Sprung they claim that diadema urchins will eat valonia pg 280
Hope that helps.
Merlin

Thanks for the info, I never that anything other than Emeralds touched the stuff...

Didn't have time to get to it. The two LR with sponges, GSP and zoas are coming out and dried. The fuge stil needs ot be cleaned out, just have ot figure when I have time to do it so I can get it hooked up to the 160 system.

well, let me know when you plan on doing that, perhaps I can free up some time to help you

Thanks Lee...I definitely could use the help. Especially once I need to plumb the fuge into the system. That made me think of a question!

Back