Bubble Coral problems.

mimi's fish

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know what could possibly be going on with this guy?

I am having some issues keeping my ph and alk stable. Ph is staying around 7.8 to 8 and the total alk is staying pretty steady at 4
The rundown
Ph 7.8 to 8
Alk 4
Mag 1200
Salinity 1.025
Calcium 480
Ammonia 0
Nitrate/nitrites 0

Everything else is looking good.
I've been using baking soda (cooked an hour at 350 and mixed 1/2 cup to 12 cups of water) to try and raise my alk level so far it's not really helping. Try to dose 20 mil a day 10 in the morning and 10 at night. Maybe I should up that?
I'm going to try a water change to see if that helps the bubble coral any.
1059481=65067-uploadfromtaptalk1447522058063.jpg
>
1059481=65067-uploadfromtaptalk1447522058063.jpg
class="gc-images" title="uploadfromtaptalk1447522058063.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Is the alk 4dKh? If so, I'd look at maybe trying one of the alk additives from seachem etc. to bump the levels. I've never heard of using baking soda.

Try moving it off the sand. Placement in the middle of the tank may make it happier.

They are usually pretty durable. Is there anything nearby that may be irritating it?

Jenn

No nothing by it. It's been ok there. It doenst like flow at all really and will extend out beautiful. But the past day or so it's been pityful

I don't want to alarm you, but Alkalinity at 4 dKH generally means stuff is dying.

I'm with LSU, I'd probably lay off the baking soda and use a product that's formulated to raise alkalinity.

I'm partial to the aqua vitro because it is good stuff and user friendly. But SeaChem's Reef Builder may be more effective in your case. It raises alkalinity without affecting pH much.

Your ph could come up a little, but in comparison with the alkalinity, using a product that raises both could send your ph way to high as it brings the alkalinity into range (7-11 dKH - I get the best results at 9 dKH).

Follow the directions carefully - taking note of max dosage per day. Going too quickly can shock the system, too.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately after losing a couple of pieces is when I realized there was an issue. I was testing everything but Alk, lesson learned, and the API test I had for PH was WAY off. I have always done regular water changes so that was helping keep the PH somewhat stable, however not enough. I did get some Aquavitro last night, I have used it before and liked! Everything has new growth and looks good except the bubble coral. I know once I get this alk issue handled my growth should improve tremendously and hopefully I can start replacing the few pieces I lost.. Thanks everyone for the input!!! I'm thinking my next equipment purchase should be a dosing pump? :)

I'm happy you were able to figure it out. As others said, go slow bringing it up. BRS recommends a max increase of 1.4 dKH per day.

I'm not real crazy about this test kit that I have, it's a little hard to read. What type of test is easier on the eyes? Hanna?

Mimi's Fish;1059701 wrote: I'm not real crazy about this test kit that I have, it's a little hard to read. What type of test is easier on the eyes? Hanna?

I use Red Sea tests for most but also have Seachem Multitest that tests for PH and Alk. It's easy and about $20 at most LSF.

Hope it pulls through.

If you want to try some of the Seachem Reef Builder, I can bottle some of mine and bring it to the meeting for you to try on your tank. I used it when my ALK has gotten low, and it works wonders. A bottle of it is $15-20 if I remember correctly, so not too bad if you'd rather just buy a whole container

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. The bubble seems to be looking up!!
915208083b5ab6479082b7e821c9b410.jpg
alt="" />
Bcavalli;1059699 wrote: I'm happy you were able to figure it out. As others said, go slow bringing it up. BRS recommends a max increase of 1.4 dKH per day.
Husband and I will be making a trip to see you soon, Brett! Once things are stable, so I can start replacing what I lost!!

Thanks jgeorge06!! I picked up some aqua vitro. It seems to be working. However, people seem to love the reef builder. I will probably give it a try when I run out of what I have!

How much flow do you have on the bubble coral? It looks like it is "blown back" by the current. You shouldn't have a bubble coral in direct current.

Is it upside down?

Can you snuggle it next to a rock, they like that...

Just looked at first pick again and it looks like it blew over on rock and its tissue is damages.

From your pictures it seems it's blown over. Try flipping it over and tuck it into a smooth rock area where its secure from moving. Low flow and partial lighting...

From the picture the top looks like it's bottom base, not its mouth. It's mouth is in the middle of the bubbles on the other side....

It hasn't blown over, it's just deflated. It is actually glued onto a rock and not sitting directly in the sand.
I don't have it in direct flow and is tucked into a little cove.
This is pretty close to the normal appearance when it deflates. The above image was taken right as the lights were coming on and it was just starting to inflate. The below shows a little more about where it's sitting and you can see where it's not directly on the sand. :)
075a42bce8012dd2464443ce882cfcf5.jpg
alt="" />

Dang, looks good there! I can't believe your tank looks so good, it seems like yesterday when you started buying your first coral :)
Crazy how time flys!

Your right it's in a good location, weird how the top looks now. Mines never deflated like that, only closes up in a tight ball.

What's on the sand bed below the tang?

That's the first piece I got from you. I'm not sure what it is, pink version of green star?

Back