Bubble Coral receding

ltidwell1

Reaction score
So, I got a bubble coral about 2 months ago and when I put it in my tank the flesh got nicked on one of the spines of the skeleton. I didn't think much of it at the time but It never healed and continues to get worse, and searching on the internet I couldn't find any good articles on the subject that fit my corals case. One issue that worries me is that I have a Sand Sifting goby that occasionally dusts the bubble coral and that is why you see the sand in between its spines. I figure this isn't good for it, but picking it up and shaking it around every-other day probably isn't great either.

I feed the bubble coral once a week with krill and very small amounts periodically in the week with brine shrimp.

If you have any ideas feel free to fire away in the thread and help me save a Bubble coral!

Salinity: 1.025
Ph: 7.8-8.2
Nitrates: >0.01 ppm
Phosphates:>0.2 ppm
calcium: 400 ppm
Alkalinity 11 dkh

2:175W 14000k Metal halides
2:t5 blues
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

In the pic ..is the receding part where it got nicked? Bubble coral are extremely susceptible to infections when cut.

It looks great some days and just horrible other days, but It still continues to eat fine. So, I don't know if its an infection, but I'm not very familiar with types of infections they can suffer from. I didn't dip the coral when I first introduced it. Do you think it would be worth a try to dip it?

I'd get it up off the sand. Move it up into the rocks. Sand will irritate it, and if it's in the rock work the sand sifter won't bury it as much (hopefully).

The flesh wound should heal eventually. Keep it fed, make sure there's nothing to sting it upstream, it should be fine.

Jenn

JennM;967630 wrote: I'd get it up off the sand. Move it up into the rocks. Sand will irritate it, and if it's in the rock work the sand sifter won't bury it as much (hopefully).

The flesh wound should heal eventually. Keep it fed, make sure there's nothing to sting it upstream, it should be fine.

Jenn

Jenn, I'm having some issues with a brain coral on the sandbed.

The sand is up in the ridges of the skeleton where the tissue has receded.

Is it necessary to remove the sand for the tissue to grow back over the skeleton?

What kind of "brain coral"? There are different kinds and some are bottom dwellers and others are not. Pic would be helpful.

Usually it doesn't 'grow back' but some corals will re-encrust over dead spots.

Jenn

JennM;967713 wrote: What kind of "brain coral"? There are different kinds and some are bottom dwellers and others are not. Pic would be helpful.

Usually it doesn't 'grow back' but some corals will re-encrust over dead spots.

Jenn

Sorry, Trachyphyllia. T. Radiata, I think.

As you can see it's not doing well, it all started when my clam shifted and buried it, and I didn't rescue it right away.

E5D62D50-7729-4F8B-8546-698EE6B194CF_zpsnf92rgxu.jpg
alt="" />

I've nurtured them back from worse. Make sure you feed it. Those are bottom dwellers - make sure it doesn't get buried.

Back