bubble counter dried up

demifelix

Market
Reaction score
For all of you who runs calcium reactor, have you ever had issue with the bubble counter running out of water? And how do you refill it? My counter dries up after a few months. Is this normal? One time I accidentally loosen the cap and the salt water from the chamber back flow into the bubble counter. Is that going to be a problem?

Do you have a built in one on your calcium reactor? If you have one there you don't need to use the one on the regulator. So you can leave it empty.

Saltwater is corrosive to brass.

FF337;1052149 wrote: Do you have a built in one on your calcium reactor? If you have one there you don't need to use the one on the regulator. So you can leave it empty.

Saltwater is corrosive to brass.

No my CR is old and it does not have anything built-in.

porpoiseaquatics;1052150 wrote: Mine did the same thing. I filled it with mineral oil and it's not happened since.

Any kind of mineral oil? Does it ever accidentally get mixed into the tank water? What will happen to the tank if that happens do you know?

Jeff is right mineral oil should not evaporate and it would be difficult to imagine it being pulled though the bubble counter into the CaRX. But it is a for of petroleum distillate and that makes me nervous around a reef tank ( Please no Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill jokes ;-)

I believe that there is a glycerine based liquid that you can use as well. Water will evaporate pretty fast as the gas bubbles through. The gas is usually pretty dry because run through a desiccating media to pull out any moisture) and will leave TDS as solids on the sight glass.

Mine has never got mixed in. Even if it did...you're talking 2 tablespoons to almost 200 gallons. I don't think it will matter much. Mineral oil was recommended to me a year or so ago when I had the same issue and sure enough...it works.

porpoiseaquatics;1052176 wrote: Mine has never got mixed in. Even if it did...you're talking 2 tablespoons to almost 200 gallons. I don't think it will matter much. Mineral oil was recommended to me a year or so ago when I had the same issue and sure enough...it works.
So one would have regulated fish lol. Worst case scenario.:eek:

Back