Steve Burton

Vice President
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Can someone ID this for me please? Bubble algae maybe? Thanks
Tiileimhwzeoy2qw7h8i4bo5uesozfjto.jpg
alt="20180407_131112" />

Looks like bubble Algea.  I would pull the plug and scrub it in tank water inside of a container.  Then rise in another container of sat water.  It may take a few times to get it all.  Try your best not to ever puncture those bubbles in your tank as it will spead like crazy.   A foxface lo or other foxface fish will usually eat the bubbles.   Sometimes emerald crabs will work as well.  They arent nearly as effective though.

Great, thanks, you confirmed what I was planning with the scrubbing, think I'll transfer to my frag tank too since it has a couple emeralds.

Awesome.   It ususally pops up in higer nutrient systems.  You may want to do a quick check on your water parameters and adjust accordingly.

Thanks,  I doubt that's the problem though, is in a fishless tank that only gets a little reef chili once a week, nitrates close to zero phosphates .06. I think it came in on the frag plug and it's taken months to grow 2 bubbles

I'be popped open too many bubbles of bubble algae to count while cutting them off rocks and sucking them out with vacuum tubing. I currently have ZERO bubble algae.

Between manual removal and 1 emerald crab it is completely gone.

I don't believe popping the polyps is as dangerous as we have been led to believe. Perhaps during a very short and specific time frame - but it certainly did not cause a faster spread in my tank.

I'm more of a don't take chances guy, remove frag plug and popped off the two bubbles, (neither one broke) and scrubbed the plug in a separate container of tank water, then put the plugin my frag tank where I have a couple emerald crabs. Thanks everyone.

Back