bubble trap

jdavid

Market
Reaction score
So instead of asking.. "How do I design my sump??"

I have a more specific question. What is the best method of eliminating micro bubbles before the return pump section. Is it the typical 'over, under, over' baffles? Does that work?

Is there a better way?

It does work....you've got to have a lot of direct flow/intake to drive a micro bubble down a few inches. If all else fail, throw a foam block in the first hurdle.

No, its slightly complicated. Hold on, a picture speaks a hundred or so words in this scenario

Sorry. Photobucket was bugging out on me.

OK, first of all, I don't know if this is highly effective or not but it will be really cheap because my friend gave me that wet/dry for free. So imagine that there is no reef octopus bh-100 in there and it is filled to the brim with LR rubble in both chambers (considering that my other friend gave me a 5g bucket full of rubble so I don't have to buy media)
null_zps3e3a68ab.png
alt="" />Yes I realize the panorama is overkill. But still cool.
null_zpsd0cee5b1.png
alt="" />

I might add a dual reactor for media as well actually. But anyway.

So the space that is leftover is the dimensions of a 10 gallon tank. basically my skimmer's footprint is tiny so it sits in there, but I don't want to baffle it too much because I might be buying a much larger skimmer. basically all I want to do (for now) is baffles before the return pump section. I can always add more later on.

null_zps761cb3a0.png
alt="" />

Edit: BTW stand is not finished. I'm going to paint it.

also I don't have a whole lot invested in this idea and I'm open to suggestions.. Was maybe thinking about building a shelf for powerstrips etc or mounting them on the side

if I need to ditch this "sump" plan for one reason or another I probably need to hear it because as far as I can tell it's a good idea

and there is a drip tray for the wet dry. Cleaning socks seems tedious. I think I might stuff it with polyfil and replace it once a week. polyfil is cheap.

I might add some pond matrix in first chamber

Edit: probably need to add ATO in the mix somehow

OK done editing I think you can read all that now

Looks ok to me. I would try to find pond matrix for that sump. Small size matrix will give you about 20-30% floaters. Dude, did you get that skimmer with lights speed shipping?

Ringo®;899793 wrote: Looks ok to me. I would try to find pond matrix for that sump. Small size matrix will give you about 20-30% floaters. Dude, did you get that skimmer with lights speed shipping?

Nop, he came to get it from me :D and I wasn't aware of the matrix otherwise he could take a bucket that is missing around my mess hehehe! Hope to see it working soon Josh!

Ringo®;899793 wrote: Looks ok to me. I would try to find pond matrix for that sump. Small size matrix will give you about 20-30% floaters. Dude, did you get that skimmer with lights speed shipping?

joseayes;899796 wrote: Nop, he came to get it from me :D and I wasn't aware of the matrix otherwise he could take a bucket that is missing around my mess hehehe! Hope to see it working soon Josh!

convenient, huh? And at quite a discount. Got my pump, too. Hard to believe it was ever used

I keep hearing that I need pond matrix, but I'm still inclined to use my free LR rubble. lol. I might get some.

And the skimmer is working, right now! I was eager to see it in action. Never had a real skimmer before. So I did a water change on my biocube and I have it set up in a 5 gal bucket next to me watching it go.

who needs TV?

If you want to eliminate microbubbles from splashing water coming into the sump, just have the overflow water come into the sump through a 200 micron mesh filter sock.

I am experimenting with removing my 100 micron socks from my 465 gallon tank's sump, and what I have done is install PVC pipe on the two inlet bulkheads that goes under the water level of the sump, which reduces splashing and microbubble production a lot.

For protein skimmer microbubbles (if that is an issue), I always have the skimmer output pointing upstream in the skimmer section, meaning back towards where water enters the sump. Alternately, you can also have the skimmer output go through a 200 micron mesh sock as well.

A foam piece in the baffle will work, but you better make sure you rinse it all the time, as that can raise the skimmer section water level as it clogs and make regulating your skimmer operation a PIA. Mesh socks work better for this, IMO, as the 200 micron size will not clog for a long time.

Finally, another strategy is to position your return pump intake as far away from the water path as possible, letting the microbubbles pop before they get there. And you may also consider throttling back your return pump a bit, as an excessive flow rate through in the sump can cause microbubble issues as well. A sump does not have to be high flow to be very successful.

The longer you can make the water path through the sump, whether a physical path or a slower water current, the less bubbles you will return to the DT.

I have what I would call a low-moderate flow rate through my 465 gallon tank sump, but I have a ton of in-tank flow from the Vortechs I use. Not saying you are doing this, but I don't think anyone should count on their return pump for high volume in-tank circulation. Not the main purpose of the return pump, IMO.

Thanks

I'll definitely consider lowering return pump flow
So a single 200 micron sock leading into the return pump section would completely eliminate bubbles before return to the DT. It would be after the polyfil tray so it would probably not need to be changed often

Shouldn't be too hard. I could alway drill a tall baffle, install a bulkhead and PVC over and down into a sock

That's actually not a bad idea

Back