Buffing Acrylic

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">What is the best/cheapest way to buff scratched acrylic? I was scrapping all the algae off that had been dried up for about 2 months with an acrylic scraper and scratched it pretty bad :doh:</span></span>

Is the scratch on the inside or out? It is easier to take care of dry but you can use a magnet with a scratch removal kit, for in water applications. It is important to note that these are only good for very small areas. These kits will remove the scratch, however usually creates an uneven appearence when looking at the acrylic with deeper scratches.

The only way to properly buff large areas is to do it dry. Small circular orbital sanders are best. You will need to order several acrylic sandpaper kits. "Several", is the key word. The finer sandpaper 4000-8000 gritt are used up very quickly and each sheet can only take care of a small area, approx 1 square foot.

Warehouse Aquarium;534385 wrote: Is the scratch on the inside or out? It is easier to take care of dry but you can use a magnet with a scratch removal kit, for in water applications. It is important to note that these are only good for very small areas. These kits will remove the scratch, however usually creates an uneven appearence when looking at the acrylic with deeper scratches.

The only way to properly buff large areas is to do it dry. Small circular orbital sanders are best. You will need to order several acrylic sandpaper kits. "Several", is the key word. The finer sandpaper 4000-8000 gritt are used up very quickly and each sheet can only take care of a small area, approx 1 square foot.

Thanks for the response. The scratches are on the inside and there is no water in the tank. Do you suggest one brand over another?

I have heard of people using a product called Novus and a buffer. Seems to work really well

gixxer600;534390 wrote: I have heard of people using a product called Novus and a buffer. Seems to work really well

The guy I bought the tank from used Novus before I bought it. But I couldnt remember if it was used on the inside or outside of the tank.

Novus is a good product for minor to fine scratches and for a final finishing product. It is best used after sanding is complete. It does not work for the deeper scratches. Any manufacturer of the sandpaper is fine.

From what I have read, I should start with 1000, then 2500, and finish it with 4000. Does that sound about right?

You will start around 1800 and finish at 8000. After that you still need to polish with Novus 2 and 1.

I posted a similar question recently. Here's the thread link:
showthread.php

I will sand them with wet/dry paper if the sratch is bad then buff with arcylic rouge that I get from
http://www.ridoutplastics.com/index.html">http://www.ridoutplastics.com/index.html</a>
this would be me kind of getting into my work
[IMG]http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af298/rgfast/IMG_0325.jpg alt="" />

In refinishing my 550's I used NOVUS products exclusively. I found that if it is possible to flip the tank up side down on the stand and stand up inside the tank, it's slightly more bearable. Note that you will sweat like heck and be sore for days.... You will begin to wonder if it's even worth it. Then start questioning life itself...
After all that, it's time to start on the other 3 panes!
picture.php

bring in a fan and have cold beer close by.
Alternate arms to feel a balanced, whole body burn.

Back