Buffing acrylic

benpoole28

Market
Reaction score
I have found tons of information online on how to do it and what people use. Mequires plastic x seems to have the best results overall. Everyone says it works great at getting out fine scratches and bringing back the shine to acrylic. What I haven't found is any products that have been confirmed to be safe for a reef aquarium. Most products also act as a sealer so they must be leaving something being on the acrylic. Anyone have any experience using a buffing compound on their reef tank? I have read thru tons on threads on buffing tanks but they all end with the tank looking great after lots of work, but nothing on whether or not the compound used was safe over time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I used novus and kept the tank for almost a year with no issue. It's been a few years.... I think I ran the tank with vinegar afterwards for a day or two.

Novus products here too and a vinegar bath on inside of tank afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you trying to buff the acrylic while its still setup?

LAfishguys has a great video demonstration buffing acrylic while the tank is still setup, using sandpaper

Before setting up. Doesn't badly need it, just a little cloudy but I figured I may as well do it before setting it up. It's a zero edge tank so I want it to be prefect.

Would live to see more input too! I'll be dealing with "water level marks" and I'm in the same position, just starting with this tank... Would the last product mentioned before will work with them?

Sorry for jumping in your thread I just don't see a reason to open another one for the same porpoises

No problem. I ordered the novus kit and a cheap 6" buffer. I'll post results.

I had a badly marred tank. Worked my way up through the sand paper (to 2000 grit), then finished with the novus. The results were very good, but it was a lot of work.

Back