Building a large DIY Glass Tank?

organ builder

Reaction score
Hi--

My partner and I are new members, looking to set up a reef tank system. We don't mind spending money (much...) if we really need to, but I'm handy and not afraid to try things if I've found enough reliable information to feel comfortable doing so. I have access to a full wood shop, plenty of space, and the capability of getting some materials wholesale. I know the importance of keeping things square, level, and plumb and I know how to do it.

In the perfect world, I want a 180 gallon glass tank. There doesn't seem to be a lot online about building such a large tank. That usually tells me people aren't doing it--usually for good reasons. Still, I thought it might be worthwhile to see if anyone in Atlanta has experience doing such a rash thing!

It's a hobby, so I consider the time spent doing it as "cheap"--I'll be enjoying myself. I would want to know I could save at least $150, though, or I would probably just buy the thing and put my energies somewhere else.

Feel free to tell me I'm crazy...but if you have your own experiences with such a project I'd love to hear about them.

Michael

You can generally find 180's for around $200 or less on here or Craigslist. Without being able to build a support brace for the top, that's a big tank to DIY. Just my $.02

yeah, from what ive read its best to start small and work your way up. you will have to brace the heck out of a 180.

Absolutely zero reason to build such an easy to find cheap sized tank built to last.

If you want to diy a tank do a size that would save you a ton of cash like a 400+ gallon build....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

In my experience the tank choice, albeit very important, is the least challenging part of building and maintaining a reef tank. Take that effort and put it towards the entire setup.

This is pretty much what they're telling me about my acrylic tank build. lol
But yeah a 180 is pretty easy to find fairly cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using
m

okay, the three of us need to start an aquarium company and a show on tv.yall down?i am!! lol

Yup! I have a pretty sweet beard so TV will probably love it!

e6aja6er.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using
m

There have been a couple of tanks built within the ARC over the years. I think the last one I remember was a plywood based tank but it was in the 900+ gallons range. It's the only way it's worthwhile is to go really big otherwise, glass tanks below 300g are just to easy to find and to cheap when you do find them.

I was thinking of doing the same thing and even with a good hook up on glass it ended up only being $200 more to get a marineland 300g over making my own at 72x36x24.

I decided to go with something with a warranty and no hassle of building a tank.

I ended up making everything else though.

Unless its acrylic I would not recommend you build your own tank unless you can get the glass almost free. And I would never recommend anyone have an acrylic display tank.

Plus if you want a 180, yeah hit up craigslist. you can always drill it if it doesnt have overlfows and if you screw up getting a second one is still way cheaper and easier then building one.

it can be done, but ... in my opinion, BUY one. I wouldn't mess with DIY at that size. 180 is a VERY common tank...

B

Back