Building my own glass tank.

smallblock

Market
Reaction score
Ok, so, I'm a die hard DYIer and I love to build things. I want to build my own glass tank. 120 gallon standard dimensions. I want to build it RR with 2 overflows. Anybody got an Idea on how much the glass would cost me to do this. Do glass companys drill holes for you or is this something I would have to do after purchase of the glass. Also where would I get overflows from. I do realize I will have to have a center brace and trim on the top and bottom. I dont really want a rimless

Edit: I think an AGA 120 runs about 600 new, how much money would I save doing a Diy

Edit: also what would be the thickness of the glass I purchased. 1/2 is what i was thinking
How much more is straphire glass, I dont have to have it I dont mind the green look on the corners I kinda like it myself

Edit: Also should I got tempered or not. I think my aga is just temepered on the bottom.
Is it better to do just the bottom or all of it. Whats the advantage of tempered glass vs non

I've completely changed my mind after seeing this!!!! I got the ok from the wife!
Little bit more research and this in on!!! If they sell it for only 300 you gotta be able to build it for 2 or so.

coffeetable-above.jpg
alt="" />

don't get any coral....

Edit: honestly, plumbing that would be a nightmare. but if it's for sale someone has it

I gotta figure all that out, prob end up being a fish only, maybe some softies if I can figure something out about the lights.

a hardcore diy'er could probably use leds around the rim with the right lenses and get reef grade lighting. lol

but seriously. i think leds might work.

I do have those leds if I built another tier out of glass and set the leds in there its just I think I would rather sacrafice a corner for a return or something.

def would be cool to see but seems more of hassle to keep it as furniture with all the cleaning of the glass, the returns and lights...just imo

Starphire glass is more than just the edges looking green, there is a noticeable difference in color when looking through it.

Tempered glass cannot be drilled, so keep that in mind when ordering it.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">I like the coffee table idea. Overflows you can also make yourself as a die hard DIYer of course so either way that'd be easy. The first thought with lighting that came to my mind was ceiling mounted leds, just angle them so they don't catch your peripheral. I would think you could get a narrow enough optic to focus the light where you need it, just not the everyday optics that are easy to find. My second brainstorm idea was to have bottom mounted LEDs that shine up and then get reflected off something like a mirror around the overflow. Then the third idea I came up with is to imbed them into the overflow and corners. You could do the corners without too much distraction.</span></span>

If you go bare bottom than you can build a tray just under and light it from under the glass.

And maybe add some of the underwater scathing spot lights

Back