Bulb recommendations

stevot123

Market
Reaction score
I have an 8 bulb 48" T5 fixture, running 3 10000 and 3 actinic(only 6 of the 8) for a 55 gal. I have sps, lps, zoas and softies all growing well in the tank. However, I have a Green Stylophora that has been in my tank for approx 1 mo. and still hasn't developed the flourescent green color(it still looks immature like purpleish). I just feel like I could/should be doing better with my T5s. How can I make my fixture work better for me and what bulbs do you recommend?

Steven

One reflector, bulb brand ???? what came with it, and fixture brand is Extreme Nova

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12772">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12772</a>
Although the one pictured here is only 4 bulb. This is the site I purchased from so this is my exact model.

eight 48" 54W T-5 bulbs
(SlimPaq 460nm Actinic/10,000°K)
four Lunar Lights, parabolic
reflector, cooling fans,
& electronic ballast

These were the bulbs that came with the fixture. I am not sure if that shows the brand . . . ? I am not very knowledgible about lighting.

If people could tell me what kinda of T5 lighting they are using, that may help me out. Or if people think that what I have is perfect and would they not change a thing :D , just let me know. I just want to make what I have work the best for my setup.

Thx

I have the same fixture with 4 bulbs, and honestly I would ditch the stock bulbs for some ATI, UVL, or Geissman bulbs. If you only replace 1-2 at a time, the cost of the bulbs isn't too bad, and you just keep track of when you put them in so you know when you'll have to replace them.

What color setup are you going for? White, blue, purple?

au01st;308668 wrote: What color setup are you going for? White, blue, purple?

I am not 100% sure what you mean. LOL this is why i posted this thread, I don't know what I can do with my lights. I have some florescent corals in my tank and I would really like them to pop.

au01st will you tell me what bulbs specifically you are running on your fixture. I assume that those bulbs would work well for me since my tank is more shallow than yours.

(It only likes skinny hot chicks with blonde hair . . . or bald if you prefer another thread)

Thx

ATI Aquablue Special
Pure Actinic (Can't remember ATI or UVL)
UVL 75.25
Actinic Plus (Can't remember ATI or UVL)

I believe those are the bulbs, and in that order. I won't have time to double check tonight as I have plans, but I will check tomorrow morning.

It is white with a hint of pink/purple. I'm not 100% happy with it, but it's better than when I was running the stock bulbs. I'd prefer it to have more blue and less pink.

Thank you for posting that. Since you aren't 100% happy with what you have, how would you switch it up?

Back