Bulbs

mikesommers

Market
Reaction score
Need a quick answer. Just bought a Coral Vue 250watt ballast. Bulb recomendations. Radium, XM, Ushio, Iwaski????? Can not find any info on whatt this ballast will fire. I have less than 2 hrs to order.

Helios 250 watt 20,000 K HQI Mogul Base Metal Halide Bulb???? Maby?? These are pulse start.

mikesommers;249119 wrote: Helios 250 watt 20,000 K HQI Mogul Base Metal Halide Bulb???? Maby?? These are pulse start.

HQI is DE.

How about the reeflux 12k?

Are you looking for color, growth, both? Will you have any actinic supplimentation? There are tons of bulbs available. Is this a magnetic or electronic ballast?

mufret;249121 wrote: Are you looking for color, growth, both? Will you have any actinic supplimentation? There are tons of bulbs available. Is this a magnetic or electronic ballast?

Electronic. I just want to know first what kind of bulbs it will fire? Then I need to figure out what bulb to order. I have heard the Helios are way sweet. They have to have a pulse start though. I am pretty sure that the coral vue electronic is pulse or probe. I just cant not find that in wrighting.

Is it a new ballast? If so, the electronic ballast will fire most bulbs (HQI, pulse start, probe start). Some of the older version Coralvue electronic ballasts however had some issues with some bulbs.

index.asp

Then you're good to go with just about any bulb. You have more choices in the SE type but there are some impressive DE bulbs,like the Helios, available. Do you have your reflector/pendent already?

mufret;249133 wrote: Then you're good to go with just about any bulb. You have more choices in the SE type but there are some impressive DE bulbs,like the Helios, available. Do you have your reflector/pendent already?

Yes its an SE

Helios makes an SE. So its between Helios, Radium and Ushio. I want to be able to do SPS if I want or mixed. I want options. I would rather have groth than color. I can make color with other means if need be.

Which tank will this be over? If you are looking at 20k bulbs, you'll get a nice blue look but not the growth you'll see out of a 14/15k or 10/12k bulb.

mufret;249144 wrote: Which tank will this be over? If you are looking at 20k bulbs, you'll get a nice blue look but not the growth you'll see out of a 14/15k or 10/12k bulb.

65 Gallon AGA

I went with the Radium 20k bulb. I found info that the Vue 250watt electronic will run the Radium bulbs. So I am going to give them a shot!

Back