Bulk aragonite frag plugs

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
I really like the ones that @FutureInterest uses. Where can one buy these in bulk? What's your preferred frag plug?

I like the Oceans Reef aragonite frag discs for encrusting frags (cut easily when turning one frag int 4-5) and their ceramic (Hawaiian black) for my Acro frags. They sell both in bulk and offer a $5 off coupon with free shipping (I order 1 at a time to use the coupon).

I really like the ones that @FutureInterest uses. Where can one buy these in bulk? What's your preferred frag plug?
I used to get mine from ebay but his quality has slipped as in he uses alot less aragonite and more concrete. So I started making my own using aragonite/portland cement in about a 4/1 ratio and a silicone mold that I made.

Could one use calcium carbonate sand and Portland for making plugs?

Where did you get calcium carbonate sand?

Fwiw,
That is basically what aragonite is, with traces of some other cations like magnesium & strontium.

Where did you get calcium carbonate sand?

Fwiw,
That is basically what aragonite is, with traces of some other cations like magnesium & strontium.
We mine it and grind it. I'm going to mix up a batch tomorrow with a ratio of 3 to 1 and 4 to 1 to see which works better. I do have some with more fines in it will try that to.

Aragonite is calcium carbonate, but calcium carbonate isn’t necessarily aragonite. The difference between the various types is the molecular structure, I believe. And I think I remember there are three forms of calcium carbonate.

I’m not sure how the other forms would fare in or affect a marine aquarium. But it’s worth investigating. I’m certainly curious.

I'd love to hear y'alls results. I'm just interested in frag plugs that are on the smaller side and break apart easiest. Cheapest I've found for 1000 frag plugs is around $110. If this is the cheapest route I might just go with these...

Years ago I made my own plugs. Using crushed oyster shells, sand, and white Portland cement. Forms were baby bottle nipples. They took forever to cure the elevated pH out of them. Use to cure in a toilet tank. Plugs so cheap I just buy anymore. Also made a bunch of live rock.

Attachments

• 0FF91C93-A54C-43CB-A749-AED94955E5C9.jpeg
    0FF91C93-A54C-43CB-A749-AED94955E5C9.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 7396E6D5-4209-4777-9CBF-67DCC3D3C319.jpeg
    7396E6D5-4209-4777-9CBF-67DCC3D3C319.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
Here is some that I made after I removed from the board. Turned out 59 nice plugs granted they are flat plugs I guess I need to make a mold to make a standard plug. I will take another pic when the concrete is totally cured and I will do another after that are cured in water for awhile. So for 9 bucks I made 59 plugs and enough to make thousands more.
First one is just the sand size 2nt is the mix and 3rd is just the fines. Which one look better?
20200408_183503.jpg20200408_183344.jpg20200408_183426.jpg

I like the looks of the first one. At 3-1 they are solid and not crumbly? I have been messing around with sand and cement at 4-1 and 3-1 and it always comes out crumb;y

My only problem would be coming off with 100 bucks for something that would take for ever to use

Back