Bulk Carbon

james s_

Market
Reaction score
Looking for a good quality at a good price Carbon in Bulk. I found a few places online that sold Ignite Carbon for around $25 for 6 lbs. Anyone know where the best place to order from is?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Bulk-Carbon/c6/index.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Bulk-Carbon/c6/index.html</a>

[/B]

Honestly for the money... Look into Elos carbon. It runs better so you use less of it longer. Sometimes quality is better than quantity.

46bfinga;148329 wrote: Looking for a good quality at a good price Carbon in Bulk. I found a few places online that sold Ignite Carbon for around $25 for 6 lbs. Anyone know where the best place to order from is?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Bulk-Carbon/c6/index.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Bulk-Carbon/c6/index.html</a>[/B]

[/QUOTE]

Ive shop it around when was buying 55 pound bags. That is the exact same Top Quality carbon recomended buy Boomer (norit____. Bulkreef is selling it the same price wholesale price with a little better shipping cost. quality wise theres only one better.

NavyReefer;148390 wrote: They had some big bags at SWC not sure what they had it priced at.

They were $20 a bag but it was Kent Brand Carbon. Thats all I have used in the past,but now that my tanks are getting larger Im looking to save $$$ and buy in Bulk.

Roland Jacques;148380 wrote: Ive shop it around when was buying 55 pound bags. That is the exact same Top Quality carbon recomended buy Boomer (norit____. Bulkreef is selling it the same price wholesale price with a little better shipping cost. quality wise theres only one better.

Thanks Roland , so you think the link I provided would be the way to go?

Personally I really like Bulkreefsupply's ROX 0.8:

ROX 0.8 is a specialty peat carbon that has been extruded into tiny pellets. These pellets are extremely hard and have high numbers of large and small pores giving ROX 0.8 all the advantages of both</em> lignite and bituminous carbons.
When using ROX 0.8 you will achieve crystal clear water faster and with less material. The increased hardness will result in less dust and reduce the amount of material lost into the water.
Iodine Number: 950 min.
Molasses number: 450 (EUR)
Ball-Pan Hardness: 97min
Surface area (BET) m2/g : 1100
PH: Neutral
Food Chemicals Codex : Passes
Ash, Mass%: 3
Methylene blue adsorption g/100g: 22
Washed with Hydrochloric Acid

This stuff is great, lasts a long time, and is almost dust-free

Yeah ROX 0.8 is the best, and if you have limited space for carbon its a good choice.

My tanks filters dont have carbon space problems, So i've been using Lignite it seems to me to be the best value. The bulk 45-50 pound bags i use to buy ran about $118 so you can save some money buying the bags, but...

Lignite numbers seem to be 100-300% better that bituminous coal (Black Diamond...) and actualy cost a good bit less than Black Diamond. (Black Diamond has a good bit better numbers than Kent)
ROX 0.8 numbers seem to be about 30% better than Lignite but cost twice as much. So to me, Ligite is the value product IMO.

46bfinga;148329 wrote: Looking for a good quality at a good price Carbon in Bulk. I found a few places online that sold Ignite Carbon for around $25 for 6 lbs. Anyone know where the best place to order from is?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Bulk-Carbon/c6/index.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Bulk-Carbon/c6/index.html</a>[/B]

[/QUOTE]

This is where I boght my carbon from; best price that I had found at the time.

The stuff is good, but is very fine and you'll need a very fine mesh bag (like seachem's "the bag") or a media reactor.

I have plenty of space also. I have a total of 5 Media reactors laying around so ......... I think I ll just buy the 6 lb. bucket of Lignite.

Skriz;148490 wrote:

The stuff is good, but is very fine and you'll need a very fine mesh bag (like seachem's "the bag") or a media reactor.

It says they have two different sizes. Small(more efficient) and user friendly.

***We offer two sizes of lignite carbon.*** The smaller size is the most efficient and our recommended size. The larger partials are the same size as other common aquarium carbons, many people find this familiar size easier to use in equipment like reactors.

Here is a chart that shows how the different Carbon's stack up. The ones on the Right of the chart are the best....

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="font-size: 11px;"><span style="color: #666666;"><font size="2" data-gcupd="font-2"><!-- gcu-updated -->RICHARD HARKER</span></span></span></span><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;"><span style="color: #666666;">
carbon1.jpg
alt="" /></span></span></font><!-- gcu-updated SIZE --></span>

That's a funny chart! It doesn't have a key for what seachem is.

Interesting to see that kent is the worst performer!

Bleedingthought;148496 wrote: Nice, so Seachem isn't that bad, huh?
Doesnt appear to be. Where did you buy yours? I have to go out and buy a little to keep me going until my bulk carbon gets here.

Anyone use the PO4 remover from this site?

Seachem is very good just pricey if you use a lot.
There are some other numbers that were relavant but that chart makes the point.

Skriz;148498 wrote: That's a funny chart! It doesn't have a key for what seachem is.

Interesting to see that kent is the worst performer!

Yeah right. Im sure the chart is reffering to the pellets and not the coal type carbon that Kent has. The stuff Mike and Sal are selling is the the Coal version. Seems really porous.

Too far to Drive. I guess Ill check out Jenn @ IO or SAL @ SWC and get some. I have fish dying left and right unfortunately so its kind of an emergency.

Warning: dont overdose Melafix,or actually DONT use Melafix. That **** is poison. Ohh and QT fish from LFS stores. I tried using the Seachem Focus and Metronidazole, I think that **** actually made things worse.

Back