Bulkhead and plumbing question

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
Hopefully I'll get to my plumbing this week or next but have a few questions. My tank came with the Marineland bulkheads, they have a sort of teeth that rest against the bottom glass and doesn't sit flat. I was thinking about getting bulkheads that will sit flush with the glass, is that a better idea? Also what type of bulk head should I get, slip/slip or slip/thread(on the bottom). I was think the later so I could use a threaded PVC adapter because I'm sure you don't want to glue your drain (or return) directly to the bulkhead?

I think you are talking about the nut side having teeth which will be on the bottom glass and is perfect fine as long as the inside part has the gasket and sits flush! Just remember not to over tighten them as I usually go hand tight and then about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn with a wrench. You can go any way you want on the slip or thread out of the bulkhead and there will be many opinions. LOL So here is mine! I always go thread out when possible so that you can remove plumbing if necessary later down the road with out cutting the pipe and ruining the bulkhead, but this can't always be done just depends on your routing. If you need I am also in Acworth so if you need a hand just let me know!

Thanks. The ones that came with the tank are slip/slip. I may just work with them, decisions decisions lol

Sean....I had the same ones and converted to slip x thread. I personally like the thread output for the ability to take it apart if necessary. I know some will say glue all the way to prevent leaks but honestly, if done correctly (enough pipe tape and don't over-tighten), I've never had one leak.

Thanks, I figured slip/thread would be preferred. Do you just use regular teflon tape?

Back