Bulkhead Blues

judochop

Market
Reaction score
I filled my 180g yesterday to see if the bulkheads I installed months ago were water tight. Of course 3 of the 4 leak. :eek: The first is a drain line. It is leaking between the bulkhead bottom and the threaded PVC fitting that screws into it. I know I put teflon tape on that fitting so I have no idea why it would be leaking. The other two leaks are my discharges. They are leaking directly between the bulkhead ring and the threaded male part. I dont think I used teflon tape on the bulkheads, should I have? :unsure: This is a major drag. Any helpful insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

That's the way it goes with bulkheads... the only thing you can really do is take it off and try again. They can be a p.i.t.a. One thing to remember is do not overtighten them.
(and no, you should not have used teflon tape on the bulkheads... the gasket does the work with bulkheads)

tsciarini wrote: That's the way it goes with bulkheads... the only thing you can really do is take it off and try again. They can be a p.i.t.a. One thing to remember is do not overtighten them.
(and no, you should not have used teflon tape on the bulkheads... the gasket does the work with bulkheads)

That isn't entirely true. The gasket keeps it from leaking through the drilled hole.
On a threaded bulkhead(outside) using a threaded mpt connector you need to use either plumbers putty or teflon tape. If you put the tape on the wrong way it doesn't work.

I believe he's talking about using tape on the bulkhead itself... a PVC MPT connecter would have thread tape on it, not the outside of the bulkhead.

(or I could be misunderstanding where he's asking about teflon tape)

It is leaking between the bulkhead bottom and the threaded PVC fitting that screws into it. I know I put teflon tape on that fitting so I have no idea why it would be leaking.

This screams of the tape being put on backwards. If you wind the tape the right way it seals in between the threads. If you wind it the wrong way it just gets pushed out.

theplatypus wrote: This screams of the tape being put on backwards. If you wind the tape the right way it seals in between the threads. If you wind it the wrong way it just gets pushed out.
I agree...

I think we are looking at two different quotes; I was referring to:
judochop wrote: The other two leaks are my discharges. They are leaking directly between the bulkhead ring and the threaded male part. I dont think I used teflon tape on the bulkheads, should I have? :unsure:

Also remember the gasket goes on the fitting side (not the nut side)

Make sure all surfaces are clean

Hand tight plus 1/16 turn is what i do.

You can put silicon on both sides of the gasket if you realy want to make sure it does not leak.

Back