Bulkhead / Plumbing Part Needed. Where?

darren24

Market
Reaction score
The bulhead below will be used for my return. Where can I buy (locally) the female adapter that will screw on the bottom of this so that I can attach my return hose? Thanks!

DSC02234.jpg
alt="" />

You want to attach a female coupler to the outside threads correct?

Problem is the threads.

You can find the PVC adapter for the diameter of the bulkhead but I don't think the threads will work. Bulkhead is fine thread and PVC is course.

Like AU said it will either be slip or threaded inside and thats the way to go.

Be careful though if it is threaded and you buy a nipple you can over tighten and split the bulkhead.

Appreciate the replies but can you dumb this down for me. :) The inside of the bulkhead is not threaded. So I should get a piece of 1 inch PVC and slip it in the bottom and then reduce it from there?

Darren24;298301 wrote: Appreciate the replies but can you dumb this down for me. :) The inside of the bulkhead is not threaded. So I should get a piece of 1 inch PVC and slip it in the bottom and then reduce it from there?

Yes. Don't forget pvc primer and cement.

OK so cement a small section of 1 inch pvc in the bottom of the BH. Then get a female threaded coupler and male reducer. On the right track?

Sounds right. Take the bulkhead to blowes or hd and start putting together fittings. I did it early on a sat so the place was pretty much empty.

FYI, a fitting meant for electrical conduit will fit, but the threads aren't quite the same. What I did was run some aquarium safe silicone around the whole thing, then thread the fitting on, then smoothed the seal with my finger just to clean it up and make sure it was all in the grooves. Let it sit 24 hours and it was water tight.

That was before I found sites like this one...I've since removed it and plumbed it "correctly", but it did work and was water tight.

Before you slip and glue a piece of pipe in there may I make a suggestion?

If you glue the pipe directly into the bulkhead and put something like an elbow on the pipe then later if and when you tear down you will have to cut that piece loose.

Since bulkheads are expensive and you want to be able to reuse them forever, I suggest finding a female slip/thread reducer and glue those into both sides making the bulkhead thread thread that way all your pieces screw in and later you can disassemble everything with ease.

I will never buy another slip/slip bulkhead again.

When you are on your back under a stand and have to cut a bulkhead out in limited space it can be a real drag.

Or when you have to throw an 8 dollar bulkhead in the trash because you can't reuse it you are wasting money that could be spent elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

I recently tried to remove pipe connected to a threaded bulkhead. Salt creep said that wasn't happening. It was much easier to cut the pipe. I'll never buy anything but a slip/slip bulkhead again.

A little flush with warm water takes the salt out of the equation.

But like I said before everyone takes different paths to get to the same place.

Darren,
I'll assume your return bulkhead is a 3/4" as most are. Buy yourself an inside threaded 3/4" bulkhead and put that one away. Then buy from Lowes a 3/4" MPT x 3/4" barbed hose fitting (gray PVC). Either glue or teflon tape the threaded end and screw it into the bottom female portion of the inside threaded bulkhead. Your return hose goes over the barbed end. Make sure you use a worm gear type hose clamp (auto hose clamp type).
Dave

Back