Bulkhead Question...QUICK!

texhorns98

Market
Reaction score
I'm ordering some plumbing from BRS on the group buy. I didn't realize, it expires in about an hour! When they list bulkhead slip/thread or thread/slip which is the part IN the tank, versus OUTSIDE the tank? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but the pictures they show aren't matching up with the description. I need to be able to screw my loc-line into my return bulkheads while having pvc on the outside. I need thread/slip?

Lastly, I'll have 2 drains running on this 115g with 700gph. Should I go 1.5" drains or 1"?

I agree, but space is at a premium behind the tank. Wouldn't that cause me to have to put an adapter in there to get to pvc on the return lines?

The returns are coming through the back glass. Sorry, that wasn't clear. The holes haven't been drilled for the drains, but I am going to go with 1" since I already have the adjustable durso-style stand pipes.

Big D;348572 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">Another plus to threaded vs slip is in an emergency, you can find the threaded slip adapters a lot easier than a replacement bulkhead... trust me, speaking from experience. :yes:</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS"></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">If you go slip, it might not be a bad idea to order a few extra to have on hand.</span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">D</span>

Yeah, but if it adds 2-3 inches, I'd have to be pulled 7 inches away from the wall. Wifey would NOT like that!

Some people will tout the benefits of thread/thread. I prefer slip whenever possible for the cleanness of the install.

Hmm, I'd be more worried about it leaking if it was threaded than slip. Once you glue that connection, it's not gonna slip. Otherwise you gotta trust the teflon tape.

Back