Bulkhead Questions

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
O.k. gang, I'm plumbing a new tank and I'm a little nervous about my 3/4" bulkhead. In the past I've always used slip fittings but went with a 3/4" FPT threaded fitting this time around. I went to Lowes, got my 3/4" MPT to slip adapter and installed it. Here's the problem, it doesn't seem to fit that tight at all. When I thread the fitting in to the bulkhead it's really, really easy and eventually bottoms out. I know I could load the threads down with pipe tape to tighten it up but that doesn't seem to be a great idea. So, Has anyone noticed loose threads on a 3/4" bulkhead fitting? Is it possible I got either a bulkhead or fitting with poor tolerances? Would it be a big leak risk to just double up the pipe thread tape and call it good? I've included a picture of the fitting backed out so y'all would know what I'm talking about.

IMG_20190803_164833.jpg

Sorry, I backed it out so the picture would be clear. It bottom out when the pentagon shaped part of the fitting bumps in to the bottom of the bulkhead. i.e. it screws all the way in and never really feels like it seals.

I always use slip fittings because i just trust glue more than threads... no real reason other than peace of mind and paranoia :) Don’t glue a threaded fitting because it’ll be a pain to cut off if you ever need to remove it.

Back