Burnt electrical smell!

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
I apologize for not being as involved over the last few months. Between work, graduating seniors, preparation for college, vacation, and home remodeling, I have had zero time for my reef.... And it shows.

I can't remember when my last water change was. I am thinking late February early March. The doser and ATO I installed earlier this year enabled me to basically ignore my tank.

Rewind to a couple weeks ago, I came home one day to an electical burn smell. At the time, I didn't quite associate the smell with an electrical burn. I guess the smell had dissipated by the time I came home and I chalked the smell up to my girls flat iron, curler, etc.

Yesterday, I heard a series of pops. Upon investigation, it was my tank. The return bulk heads appeared to have leaked and water had crept it's way onto my power bricks for my jebao pumps and LEDs. The smell was horrendous! I haven't assessed the damage yet. As of late yesterday evening, I cut off the return, moved the heater to my display, and installed a HOB filter.

At this point, I think a complete tear down would be beneficial....

Lessons learned:

1) take a couple minutes to observe the tank daily
2) drip loops should consider power bricks as well as the plug end.
3) automation is not a substitute for participation

have you considered a DJ power strip for all of the wires that go into your outlets? also, this might be the occasion for the new apex.

anyhow, I have a remora hob skimmer that you can borrow. a bit loud but should be ok temporarily.

Oh no! Not good news at all =/

Thank you for sharing with us! Hopefully it will save some one else the same mess you get to deal with.

And I can't not preach this enough to my customers...

"3) automation is not a substitute for participation"

Adding drip loops as a task for my current build...

Sorry to hear, but its a good excuse for buying a some nice shiny new gear! Think of it as an opportunity. I just hope you dont suffer any livestock loss in the process.

Sorry to hear this John.

One thing I do to try and prevent this is mount electrical ballasts and heat sinks on the outside of the canopy.

hzheng33;1087127 wrote: have you considered a DJ power strip for all of the wires that go into your outlets? also, this might be the occasion for the new apex.

anyhow, I have a remora hob skimmer that you can borrow. a bit loud but should be ok temporarily.

Thanks Hui! I haven't exactly thought through everything, but I think I can do without. If something changes, I will let you know.

hzheng33;1087127 wrote: have you considered a DJ power strip for all of the wires that go into your outlets? also, this might be the occasion for the new apex.

NO
I know a lot of people use them,
but I had one of the popular strips and came into a burnt electrical smell... and... holy crap... the plastic was melting from one of the outlets and VERY close to burning down my home.

I'll never use these strips again.. just not worth it IMO

I think it was the american DJ one

Back