Buying colonies

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Are there disadvantages to buying too many colonies versus growing frags? I’m looking for instant gratification. I have my eyes on a few Montis like Jason fox alter ego but I’m not interested in purchasing a nub. I really like its coloration and would like a nice chunk towards the center of my tank. I also saw a nice colony of Goni at Reef Shac a while back and was temped to purchase but worried about it Making too big of an impact on the chemistry of my reef. The Waterbox is virtually empty in regards to coral at just over 4 months of existence with 9 fish and 4 coral. I do have 2 fish at the moment that I love but can’t get them to leave my LPS alone aside for my small frag on Goniopora that I got from Classic City Aquariums. I want to purchase some colonies such as pocillopora, Monti caps, Octospawn and Goniopora but I am concerned about what I can add and how far apart I should add them

Off the top of my head, there are two differences to buying colonies vs. small frags. First, it's harder to dip and clean colonies. Of course you can but I like to look over anything that I add to my coral QT with a jewler's loupe to see if I can spot anything nefarious. The larger the frag or colony, the more opportunity there is to miss something. You can always dip in a 5g bucket but it's just a bit more involved. The second difference would be in the stability of the big 3: Ca, Alk & Mg. Each polyp grows a little tiny bit and large colonies (lots and lot of polyps!) take up exponentially more elements to build their skeletons. I have a coral QT and when I added sheets of hollywood stunner it took about a week for it to settle in and then I had trouble keeping my levels consistent in the 20g tank that I use as a QT. It would be easier to combat this with a larger water volume but I'd still test pretty regularly just to make sure you're able to keep up. It'll reach a point where you know how much to add based on a historical pattern but getting there requires a decent amount of testing. Finally, and maybe a 3rd difference is that I just can't grow some corals. I've been doing this for darn near 20 years and I've only recently been able to grow euphyllia and acans. I never figured out why I had so much difficulties with those in the past but I'd hate to spend $$$$$ on something that you might have difficulties with. It might be worth the time and $$$ to buy some frags and make sure they do good in your system before you invest in colonies.

Along those lines, I didn't have a lot of luck with larger colonies until I started automating my dose of Ca and Alk with a Jebao doser. In my experience, automated dosing can 'knock the edges off' element depletion. In my display, I dose Tropic Marin's All-For-Reef, 15mL per day and make corrections when I test on the weekends.

Off the top of my head, there are two differences to buying colonies vs. small frags. First, it's harder to dip and clean colonies. Of course you can but I like to look over anything that I add to my coral QT with a jewler's loupe to see if I can spot anything nefarious. The larger the frag or colony, the more opportunity there is to miss something. You can always dip in a 5g bucket but it's just a bit more involved. The second difference would be in the stability of the big 3: Ca, Alk & Mg. Each polyp grows a little tiny bit and large colonies (lots and lot of polyps!) take up exponentially more elements to build their skeletons. I have a coral QT and when I added sheets of hollywood stunner it took about a week for it to settle in and then I had trouble keeping my levels consistent in the 20g tank that I use as a QT. It would be easier to combat this with a larger water volume but I'd still test pretty regularly just to make sure you're able to keep up. It'll reach a point where you know how much to add based on a historical pattern but getting there requires a decent amount of testing. Finally, and maybe a 3rd difference is that I just can't grow some corals. I've been doing this for darn near 20 years and I've only recently been able to grow euphyllia and acans. I never figured out why I had so much difficulties with those in the past but I'd hate to spend $$$$$ on something that you might have difficulties with. It might be worth the time and $$$ to buy some frags and make sure they do good in your system before you invest in colonies.

Along those lines, I didn't have a lot of luck with larger colonies until I started automating my dose of Ca and Alk with a Jebao doser. In my experience, automated dosing can 'knock the edges off' element depletion. In my display, I dose Tropic Marin's All-For-Reef, 15mL per day and make corrections when I test on the weekends.
I’ve thought about grabbing a doser and wanted to go with the versa but I got stired away from those because of Hui’s experience with them. I haven’t done much research on the Jebao as I wanted most of my tank to be utilized through one app and since I am using Mobius for my wave pumps, return and radions the versa seemed like a no brainer. I haven’t heard much more then Hui’s experience with the club but I would be curious to see if anyone else has had negative experience with versas. I have seen the 5 gallon dipping process via BRS and I don’t think I would mind that process at all. Thanks for the feedback brother

@jcook54 advice is spot on. The only additional things I would add are:
Colonies are used to the parameters in the tank they developed in- lighting, flow, salinity, KH, Cal, Mag, feeding schedules etc. which you are not going to duplicate in your tank- esp. if you are sourcing from multiple places. Therefore, you might not get the same growth or coloration and/or might experience die-back, or death due to parameter changes. So, as they say caveat emptor- let the buyer beware. Therefore, chunky frags might do better as they would be growing in your tank with your parameters but be a little bigger than a smaller frag.

But if money is no object, then go for it and take pictures so the rest of can vicariously enjoy :)

@jcook54 advice is spot on. The only additional things I would add are:
Colonies are used to the parameters in the tank they developed in- lighting, flow, salinity, KH, Cal, Mag, feeding schedules etc. which you are not going to duplicate in your tank- esp. if you are sourcing from multiple places. Therefore, you might not get the same growth or coloration and/or might experience die-back, or death due to parameter changes. So, as they say caveat emptor- let the buyer beware. Therefore, chunky frags might do better as they would be growing in your tank with your parameters but be a little bigger than a smaller frag.

But if money is no object, then go for it and take pictures so the rest of can vicariously enjoy :)
I am certainly not flush with cash so I think your advice on purchasing bigger frags is the direction I will most likely head towards and I will definitely take pictures to share within the club. Excuse the poor photography in advance.

+1 ^^

Also, goni’s can be difficult.

Add to that: a 4 month old system, without automated dosing...

What dosing system do you recommend?

Fwiw, I’m using BRS pumps tied to an Apex.

It depends on whether you have a controller or want a stand alone & also your budget?

I’ve never used a multi channel stand alone. That said, the Bubble Magus has a good reputation & GHL is top of the line.

For stand alone:
The Kamoer X1 is a bargain at $59 & has a great reputation. You can control it alone or with others (like 2 part) by using your phone. You can add more as needed.

Back