Buying Controller - AC Jr vs. Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper 2

reef_addict

Supporting
Reaction score
I am getting ready to purchase a new controller for my reef tank. Would the group recommend and discuss pros & cons of an Neptune AquaContoller Jr compared to a Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper 2? I want to spend around $300 and control 8 electrical outlets. I also just want to measure pH and temperature. Thanks for the input!

Watching thread with interest as we're considering one also.

If you're buying online and could use some piggy-backing to alleviate shipping, please let us know.

I was in the same dilema as you about a month ago. I opted for the reefkeeper 2 because I was only interested in doing what you have mentioned ( pH, temp, lights and nothing more). What I found with RK 2, is that is very simple to set up! It is tidy because you can have the display anywhere and have everything elses connect to the base. However it has no logging as the Neptune or other stuffs that the hardcores want. But if that is the case then I would have gone ahead and buy the Neptune III which will drive it out of my range.

I like it so much, I ended up buying a second one for my other tank.

Here's some info that was previously posted:

showthread.php

i have a ac jr it works and when i fried the dc8 they fixed it for me so im ok with them.....also i think the programing is alot easier on the rk2

I have an RKII and am fixing to get a ACjr for my other tank. Either is a good controller and as you can read in plenty of threads on here, both have pros and cons. The pros with the ACjr is you have much better control over the functions. The sky is the limit for how you want it to work. It is also much easier to upgrade and works with all the new products that Neptune puts our. So if you want Tunze wave action or lunar sims in the future, the ACjr can upgrade to do it for you. With the RKII, what you see is what you get and it will NEVER be able to do more. You have the option to turn the lights on and off at a time but will never be able to turn your actinics on in the morning, off in the afternoon and on again in the evening. No big deal to me but who knows what I would like in the future. Programming the AC is not hard once you get used to it and from what I hear, then new program wizard coming out makes it super easy. The RKII looks better then the ACjr but the new black ACjr does not look half bad. Still, the RKII is sexier. ;) For the price of each, my choice would be to go with the ACJR. They both are the same price and given that the ACjr can upgrade in the future if needed and can be customixed better in the meantime, it is a clear bonus that will save you from having to upgrade to a different unit down the road!

I have a RK2 and like it. Simple to set up, versatile enough to do just about all I want. Sturdy metal construction and looks sharp. Reporting software is kind of a retrofitted kluge, though.

AC's lineup has more bells and whistles, is more controllable and customizable (but more complex as a result), and has better reporting. In my opinion, I find their construction to be a bit plasticy

Got the RKII pretty sweet, tho I wish I had the whole web support deal. I mean, not like i'd get too involved with it, but still would be nice to controll things from the office at the house. I believe the AC line does that.

I don't think the AC jr. line has smtp control, I think that's only an ACIII thing. The RK2 from my understanding can publish to the web but not be controlled and I don't think the AC jr. has this capability.

I've owned both the AC jr and the RK2. I had a ton of problems with my AC jr and if I didn't have safeguards in place it woulda fried my tank. I wouldn't trust either of these units wholly as something can always break. That being said I do like the RK2 better.

FutureInterest;156164 wrote: I don't think the AC jr. line has smtp control, I think that's only an ACIII thing. The RK2 from my understanding can publish to the web but not be controlled and I don't think the AC jr. has this capability.

If you get the ACjr with a serial port, you can connect it to a PC running the full blown version of Aquanotes and get a web interface and email alerting. If you know you want these features, you are better off saving up for an ACIII instead of the AC Jr or RK2.

If you are a true gadget geek, I don't think you will be happy with the limitations of the AC Jr or RK2

Back