Ca at 455, Alkalinity at 138, PH at 8.36 Is this normal

miktrav

Market
Reaction score
Ca at ~450, Alkalinity at 138, PH at 8.36 Is this normal? PH has been flactuating between 8.27 and 8.36 over the course of a day. Do I need to try to increase my alkalinity or is that value to be expected? I read that normal alkalinity for a reef was 142.

Thanks,

Michael

only about 3 months but the first month and a half was run with 1 fish I held over from the original setup. The measurements were taken using a salifert kit for Calcium, a Hanna Checker for Alkalinity, and my Apex for PH.

only about 3 months but the first month and a half was run with 1 fish I held over from the original setup. The measurements were taken using a salifert kit for Calcium, a Hanna Checker for Alkalinity, and my Apex for PH.
138 ppm is 7.7 dkh.

Those numbers look good, how old/new is the reef?

I had the prior iteration of this tank set up somewhere between 7 and 8 years but had to take it down during remodeling.

Alk at 7.7 is completely acceptable, especially if there is no coral. You could adjust it, but there is no real need to do so.

There are corals in the tank. Mostly small to medium frags of LPS and zoos. I will refrain from trying to adjust unless things change drastically, especially since I am due for a water change next weekend. I am on a 2 week schedule for water changes.

Alk at 7.7 is completely acceptable, especially if there is no coral. You could adjust it, but there is no real need to do so.

Back