Cabinet support for 180g reef tank?

Milton Reefer

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm about to start a 180g Glasscages reef build. We're going to be having custom cabinets built from wall to wall in our basement, which the tank will sit on. The cabinets will be roughly 18' across, and sitting on a concrete floor. The tank will be centered on them.

First question: Is a quartz countertop ok for the tank to sit on? There will be a black plastic support around the bottom the tank.

Second question: Can the tank just sit directly on the stone countertop or should something go between the tank and the stone?

Second question: How should my contractors reinforce the cabinets to support the weight? The cabinets don't have to be functional. They will more or less just be used to hide the plumbing into a tank room that's on the other side of the wall where the cabinets end.

That's a LOT of weight to put on quartz or any solid surface countertop. I would build a stand out of dimensional lumber or a steel stand. Place it and do the cabinets around the stand and the coutner top around the tank.

More than likely, Glass Cages will be able to provide input - I would be sure to follow their requirements / suggestions.

I agree, that is a ton of weight. I think the issue with putting it on the quartz would not be the fact that you could crush the granite, but that you could Crack it. Theoretically if there is not flex or movement on the bottom under the quartz then it would be nearly impossible to crush it. The problem is, with that kind of weight it would be hard to achieve absolutely no flex under the counter top.

I agree on using a steel frame, something like 2" square tubing. This would also make it easier to use the space under the cabinet.

Back