Cal/Alk/Mag

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
Can cal/alk go bad after use mix them.They are about a yr old in jugs.

I would not use them, I know that the ALK will absorb CO2 from the air and lose potency over a period of time.

Sewer Urchin;957174 wrote: I would not use them, I know that the ALK will absorb CO2 from the air and lose potency over a period of time.

Is it possible for ALK to absorb CO2 in a sealed jug? I have jugs of CALC & ALK that are a year old. Should I be concerned? Both jugs are still as clear as the day I mixed them.

It's a tough call, I think that it depends on the container that they are stored in, like the difference between Low density polyethene (LDPE) and high density poly ethelene (HDPE).

Certain types of plastics can "breath" over longer periods of time. Plastics are polmers and I tend to think of the material as a long chain that's laid down over itself, there are small gaps... small enough still hold liquids but big enough to allow gasses to escape. That's why things like beer and wine are not stored in them for long periods of time ( at least I was told that by our plastic distributor, but hey it may have been a sales pitch to to buy his product ;-)

I would think that you could test the potency by diluting it to a certain strength and useing a ALK test kit. But honestly it's easier for me to make some more with Baking Soda or Soda Ash, maybe buck or buck fifty.

Let me be honest here.... I'm not a chemist.

Back