calcium-alk-ph dosing question

ouling

Market
Reaction score
I got my Ph at 7.8 after the lights on for 1 hours, which isn't too crazy I guess, but my Calcium was 250ppm and the alk is 1.6, things like this takes about 2 days to correct? I don't want to overdose it with alk and calcium and buff.

What would you suggest?

I would suggest a CA Reactor.

Kalk won't help, b/c your values are too low. Kalk only maintains, it doesn't raise these values.

If you must dose, try this website:

http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/chemcalc.html">http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/chemcalc.html</a>

Also, spread out your dosing over a couple days, so not to overload your tank at once. Once you reach levels you are happy with, test daily and keep notes, so you can determine how much your tank uses on a daily basis, then you can dose daily the proper amounts you need to maintain the levels you want.

Dosing is extremely expensive over the long run and nowhere near as consistent as having a CA reactor. My advice would be to either buy one now, or start saving up for one. Check out the For Sale forums, b/c there are always reactors for sale, almost on a daily basis, that you can get for a good price.

raise your parms slowly....take a few days to bring them up to where you want them, it'll be ok. Also get a Mg testing kit and check for that, Mg is the hidden key for ca and alk.

Yea, my Alk is at 11dkh, and pH is 8.4, but somehow my calcium refuse to go above 360-380. I guess it's already maxed until tomorrow? Or is it not balanced and time to do a water change?

There are some great articles on ReefCentral under the reef chemistry section about the combination of calcium, alk, ph, and the often forgotten mg.

First off a calcium reactor much like dosing kalk will only maintain your calc levels it will not raise them. In order to raise calc you will need to raise both calc and mg along with maintaining your alk level.

When I have this issue (usually when I ignore my tank for a few months). I first raise my mg up to 1250. This requires a lot of mg, so you might look at using epsom salts to help (magnesium sulphate). I wouldn't try to raise them entirely with epsom salts but use them with mg boost from the lfs. A four pound bag is about 2 dollars at Publix.

Once the mg levels are up then you should be able to raise your calc levels. I would use something like a turbo calcium (calcium carbonate), there are less expensive solutions then turbo calcium such as prestone drive wave heat or dow flakes. There are recipies on reefcentral on the proper dosing levels for each of these. Most likely you will want to space out raising your calc and mag levels over a few weeks.

A cheap way to raise your alk levels is to add a kalk drip. This will do a lot to improve your over all tank chemistry to maintain alk and ph as well as reduce any phosphates in your tank.

Rob

I mix my Calcium and Mg 1:3 ratio before it is even added, so that isn't a problem.

If you aren't measuring mg then I suspect that it is. Mg will prevent you from being able to raise your calc levels.

Rob

I would suggest Reef Complete by Seachem. It will get most of those params in line pretty quick and is easy to dose as well as being pretty hard to overdose as it is balanced to 8.4 ph. Also check your mag levels. Low mag apparently can prevent additives from actually raising calc. You can try the Seachem buffer to get the pH up, but I would try water changes first with maybe a different kind of salt.

<span style="color: black;">Well, I did the water change; I already use SeaChem Reef Complete along with Alk additives. I already dripped in the buff to make the alk and pH to normal levels. My Mag is never ever a problem... </span>
<span style="color: black;">
Maybe it's because there are so many green creatures in my tank that I have offended some leprechauns and they hexed my tank?</span>

I battle low pH as well so that has been keeping me from dropping in my calc reactor. I haven't found my answer yet, but the Seachem buffer seems to be doing the job without any side effects. I just hate adding buffers as it keeps me constantly testing for alk.

I have a problem with low pH and Alk as well. I have been dosing Mg recently and using the DIY 2 Part from 2 Part Solutions . com. I havent pulled the trigger on a Ca Reactor yet but I really want one.
I am afraid that adding a reactor will give me more pH problems with possibly some CO2 getting back into the tank. :(
I have heard that the Ca Reactor will actually help keep things more stable however... not less. It is adding Ca and Alk to the tank to keep everything maintained.

ouling;35694 wrote: <span style="color: black;">Well, I did the water change; I already use SeaChem Reef Complete along with Alk additives. I already dripped in the buff to make the alk and pH to normal levels. My Mag is never ever a problem... </span>
<span style="color: black;">
Maybe it's because there are so many green creatures in my tank that I have offended some leprechauns and they hexed my tank?</span>

I've found that buffering my tank is only a temporary solution. From what I understand the first problem is with calc and alk followed by ph. I along with others here have issues with getting my ph over 8.1. I really don't worry about it that much. It stays very stable with the calc reactor and kalk doser I have on my system. I move from 8.1 to 7.9 at night.

Are you measuring mg? If so what is the level. The calc will not move up and will be unusable without the mg level being around 1250 ppm.

Rob

JustOneMoreTank;35730 wrote: I have a problem with low pH and Alk as well. I have been dosing Mg recently and using the DIY 2 Part from 2 Part Solutions . com. I havent pulled the trigger on a Ca Reactor yet but I really want one.
I am afraid that adding a reactor will give me more pH problems with possibly some CO2 getting back into the tank. :(
I have heard that the Ca Reactor will actually help keep things more stable however... not less. It is adding Ca and Alk to the tank to keep everything maintained.

There are 2 ways around this problem.
1) Get a dual chamber calc reactor. This will help the effluent co2 be used in the second chamber and assist in reducing the amount of co2 getting back into the system.
2) Run the effluent back into your skimmer.

These 2 steps should eliminate or nearly eliminate all co2 from returning into the system water.

The other step to balance out the reduction in PH from a calc reactor is to add a kalk drip to the system as well. The effluent of the saturated kalk drip is 12.0. This will help to balance the calc effluent of ~6.5 on a single chamber or ~7.4 on a dual chamber.

Rob

rhomer... yes that is one of the big reasons that I want a dual chamber Ca Reactor.
I just hope that the wife understands another piece of equipment for the tank. Ohh and something that will also have to sit outside the stand because I do not have any room under the tank to hide it. ;)

Back