Calcium/alk supplements

bob betzel

Reaction score
I need suggestions as to calcium/alkalinity maintenance. I used ESV b-ionic in a 105 gallon that I kept LPS, softies, and a clam with VHO's. I have upgraded to a 185 gallon with metal halides and would like to keep SPS as well as the clam that I've had for 8 or 9 years now as well as other corals. I've been using kalkwasser as water replacement (about 2 gallons a day) with reef builder and an alkalinity booster that I had. I really like using the 2-part additives as I use to find things to be stable. With the 2-part addivitives I have used Kent's, ESV b-ionic, and Ocean Blend. Anyone have any input as to one being better than the other? A calcium reactor is probably where I need to head but I'm not really ready at the minute though I did see the power buy that may make me look again at them. Also with a calcium reactor will the alkalinity be stable and what other additives do people find necessary? Magnesium? Any help will be appreciated!:doh:

The most economical 2 part system I've seen is made by http://www.twopartsolution.com">Two Part Solution</a>. I haven't read any complaints about it.

The primary reason of the calcium reactor is maintaining calcium and alkalinity, not raising it. It's best to achieve the levels you want and then maintain them using the reactor. If set up corretly, your alkalinity should be very stable.

Standard Ca reactor media does not do much for Mg. You can do a 1:10 mix of Dolomite:ARM to help with Mg level in the reactor.

Back