calcium levels

brownguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to lower calcium levels in a reef tank? right now there at 680 and i have completely stopped dosing reef complete calcium.

There's no safe way to do it other than bringing it down slowly over time with water changes.

It should also naturally come down with time as your tank uses it but water changes expedites it. That high of calcium will have an affect on your other parameters, keep an eye on them.

it has affected other things , my ph is always going down, idose the tank with seachem reef complete once a week, right now not at all. someone told me to add a buffer and that would help lower the calcium levels.

Do a water change and relax. I wouldn't do the buffer thing because that can lead to problems of it's own. I did the same thing you did with the exact same product and it was no big deal. It took me a while to figure out that before I dose anything I have to be able to measure it. When I got the 600+ reading I freaked out but nothing bad happened and eventually it got back into normal range.

thanks for the info, i'm going to do a water change tonight and hopefully with time it will come down thanks

I really don't think it's 680PPM. I suggest you do another test with a different kit. What is your pH and Alk levels? There is really no way of making calcium 680ppm without some problems in the tank. Magnesium will not go all the way to 2000ppm to sustain that level of calcium, and Alk will be extremely low, while pH will be 8.5+ for calcium levels above 550.

Check again and let us know.

waterchange and im here totell you your calcium can go that high. i used 3 different test with the same results

Back