Calcium reactor question

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
In the next week or so I will be adding more water volume to my system vis a new sump and frag tank, the question is will I need to adjust my calcium reactor? My thinking is that I shouldn't need to because the demand will be the same, but I'm questioning my theory because I am also thinking that the effluent will be less effective or diluted with the extra water.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Im still a newb when it comes to calcium reactors....well...reefing in general so there's a high chance Im dead wrong. Going by the reef chemistry calculator thats widely used, changing the water volume changes the amount needed to dose. For example, for a 120g water volume, for a 1dkh consumption you'll need to dose 85.7ml of Randy's recipe. If you change the water volume to 240g, it doubles the dosage. So wouldnt you have to adjust the calrx accordingly?

Im still a newb when it comes to calcium reactors....well...reefing in general so there's a high chance Im dead wrong. Going by the reef chemistry calculator thats widely used, changing the water volume changes the amount needed to dose. For example, for a 120g water volume, for a 1dkh consumption you'll need to dose 85.7ml of Randy's recipe. If you change the water volume to 240g, it doubles the dosage. So wouldnt you have to adjust the calrx accordingly?
That's where my thinking got me confused. I think I will be doing some testing, but i hope someone with experience chimes in here. I'm pretty new to the calcium reactor myself, i had planned on the extra volume when I got the reactor so I got an oversized unit.

That’s if you’re trying to get your total DKH up for the total water volume, not replenishing consumption only.

Adding a frag system will increase consumption as well i think. If you don't load it down with new (external) frags it wouldn't change significantly immediately (IMO). However, as the frags grow and/or increase in number, there will be a corresponding increase in consumption. I dont have any experience with calcium reactors but this is just what makes sense to me in general. More water won't increase consumption but more coral does. A frag system has both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Adding a frag system will increase consumption as well i think. If you don't load it down with new (external) frags it wouldn't change significantly immediately (IMO). However, as the frags grow and/or increase in number, there will be a corresponding increase in consumption. I dont have any experience with calcium reactors but this is just what makes sense to me in general. More water won't increase consumption but more coral does. A frag system has both.

All the frags are already in my system currently, my display looks horribly similar to a frag tank . I will be cutting and adding more in the future, but i was wondering about the initial switch over with the added volume. I can't wait for the day that I have to increase my effluent, It'd be a good sign of success.

Yeah, I'd think even fragging off colonies already in system wouldn't dramatically increase consumption immediately. If you went crazy and bought 100 new acro frags and put them in there, that would dramatically increase consumption (I'd guess). Its a problem I'd like to have to solve. Anybody have 50-100 acro frags so i can test my theory?

It's all about the encrusting biomass. As it goes up, so does consumption.

When you bring the the frag tank online and add the new water give it a few hours to settle and then test. If it needs an adjustment make it with 2part using the new tank volume for the calculator. Then with the CARX set the same test again 24hrs later. If the reactor was keeping up before the frag tank addition everything should be the same.

I set up my cal reactor based on the coral consumption of calcium , not with total water volume. Lps tank require a lot less cal than those sps tank. Testing testing and adjusting slowly will bring better result

Back