Calcium Reactor vs 2 part dosing

bsbrown82

Reaction score
I've been dosing BRS 2 part for a couple of years now. I was manually dosing at first and now I'm running a Jebao DP-4 to automate the dosing. My tank is mostly softies & LPS currently. I do have a couple of frags/mini colonies of SPS and 1 clam. I see great growth from my softies but only moderate to no growth from LPS & SPS.

Any advice if a switch to a calcium reactor would help facilitate more growth? My intent is to start moving toward more SPS. I've had no problem maintaining cal, alk & mag levels with the doser. All other parameters are within normal ranges. I just can't figure out why I'm not seeing growth. I just haven't had much success with SPS and can't figure it out.

Tank is a 93 cube with a 30 gallon refugium. Mix of chaeto and calupura in fuge. Eheim 1262 return pump which also feeds a carbon and GFO reactors. Reef dynamics RS-135 skimmer. Lighting is 2 of the full spectrum evergrow LEDS which I have converted to be APEX controllable.

I considered switching over like you are contemplating. I've read once you change over to a Calcium reactor alot of people see a growth spurt with their Sps and once you dial it in its set and forget. However, I have several friends who have had issues with running one. Personally, I decided I like the controllability of dosing and keeping myself engaged in testing and micro managing my tanks. It's probably a downfall of mine. Lol.

I do know when I started switching over from LPS to SPS I had to really stay on top of changing my carbon. I believe it was due to the amount of toxins the LPS released and the SPS didn't really appreciate it. So I believe it hindered their overall health. Just an educated guess on my part.

Changing the GAC is one thing I'm lax on. I will normally change it every 6 - 8 wks instead of sticking to a strict once/month changeout. Thanks for the input so far.

ca reactor is the way to go, but remember good components make a LOT of difference .

That aquarium plants regulator is AMAZING, but its $.

I wish I still had my set up

I don't have time to elaborate now, but I think you're asking the wrong question given what you're wanting to grow. Considering you say you don't have any issues with the big three- What is your Ca, Alk, and Mg? Next big question is your PO4?
Please include test kits you're using.

Thanks

I doubt a CA reactor is going to improve your SPS growth. It's just a different way to do things, and can come with its own challenges. If your alk / ca levels are good and your keeping them stable then try other things first. A few good ideas are mentioned above.

Ok. I ran a full gambit of test and here are the results along with test kits.

pH - 8.3, Apex
Alk - 11.3 dkh , Red Sea
Ca - 350, Red Sea
Mg - 1160, Red Sea
Nh3 - 0.01, Hach
No3 - 0.137, Hach
Po4 - 0.05, Hach
Sg - 1.026, refractometer

Anyone see any red flags?

bsbrown82;1051651 wrote: Ok. I ran a full gambit of test and here are the results along with test kits.

pH - 8.3, Apex
Alk - 11.3 dkh , Red Sea
Ca - 350, Red Sea
Mg - 1160, Red Sea
Nh3 - 0.01, Hach
No3 - 0.137, Hach
Po4 - 0.05, Hach
Sg - 1.026, refractometer

Anyone see any red flags?

Biggest issue I see is the low calcium. You will want it at 400-420. Might bump your mag up some as well. I've never used Hach for Po4, but a lot of kits won't measure it accurately. Hanna Ultra Low Phosphorus is the best kit (I believe) to measure phosphates. Conversion to phosphates gives you a lower margin of error than using Hanna's phosphate meter.

Most people I see successfully keeping SPS keep their alk much closer to NSW levels (7.5-8) and their calcium and magnesium closer to 400/1350.

Not to say that your numbers are wrong, or that their numbers are right, but it's certainly a correlation I've noticed.

Back