calcium reactor??

grouper therapy

Supporting
Reaction score
In another thread it was stated that calcium reactors were only meant to maintain cal/ alk levels. My concern is that as my system matures and out grows my present kalk drip and calcium reactor setting how am I suppose to raise my cal/alk to keep up with the intake of the corals? Do I have to dose two part or can I adjust my reactor slowly over time to raise the cal/alk levels?

The proper way is to dose some type of 2 part than adjust your reactor accordingly so it maintains the levels you want. It's not all that hard and honestly doesn't need to be adjusted that often.

Yeah, you can adjust your reactor to increase it's output. Unless you're maxing out your reactor already, you'll be okay. If you are, then you have an upgrade in your future! :)

So if I am not maxed out I can very very slowly increase the output to raise the levels where they need to be maintained. Cool! I might look for a second chamber from you guys to help buffer effluent . thanks Skriz

Barbara;310349 wrote: How do you know when you've "maxed out" your reactor? Is it after you reach a certain drip/flow rate? Like does every reactor say "max flow is xxx mls/minute" or something like that?

+2 I am getting ready to set mine up whenever I can figure where to fit it under the canopy...

Barbara;310349 wrote: How do you know when you've "maxed out" your reactor? Is it after you reach a certain drip/flow rate? Like does every reactor say "max flow is xxx mls/minute" or something like that?

I'm sure a formula could be established. I have no doubt that I can't write one.

Barbara;310386 wrote: Can you try to explain it? I don't even know where to begin thinking about it?

You have to know the rate at which the media dissolves at a certain pH(a), the volume of media(b), how much CO2 it takes to reach that pH(c), flow rate(d), and pH of the water entering the reactor(e). X would be a number on scale to help determine reactor size.

This won't even be close to right, but something like

<u>a + b + c</u> = x
d + e

I'm sure there are varibles I haven't considered. We need a greater mind than mine working on it.

Danny that was a excellant point you made in Joe's thread about the reactor 's reduced media volume( 1/2 used up) which impacts it's capabilities. I guess that would have to be factored in the equation also?

Yeah. There would have to be a consumption scale worked into it. I've been thinking that dKH would also have to be factored in, as that's primarily what determines pH in the system. The trick there, is that it's mainly comprised of bicarbonate, carbonate, and borate. But I guess whatever the blend, whatever their combined pH is would still take the same about of CO2 to lower... I'm just thinking out loud right now... I am not a mathmatician.

<p style="text-align:center"><u>dKH effluent</u>
(mL/h)(CO2)(pH)/media volume

I wish that all of the info in all of the Ca Reactor threads could be put together and then put in a sticky or a new forum called equipment. This is a step everyone will eventually go to and it is very important info to not crash an existing tank.

It's going to be cool one day when we have a "smart" calcium reactor. You would set the calcium ppm and alk target point and it would test the effluent entering and exiting the reactor and adjust the flow rate / CO2 for the demand. (and automatically compensate for media usage.)

Let's go MRC. :)

Oz;310856 wrote: It's going to be cool one day when we have a "smart" calcium reactor. You would set the calcium ppm and alk target point and it would test the effluent entering and exiting the reactor and adjust the flow rate / CO2 for the demand. (and automatically compensate for media usage.)

Let's go MRC. :)

That would take all the fun out of this hobby. The only reason I like it is because it's not an exact science yet. There is a billion ways of doing things, and you have to "play" with your gagets to make everything work.

rostato;310914 wrote: That would take all the fun out of this hobby. The only reason I like it is because it's not an exact science yet. There is a billion ways of doing things, and you have to "play" with your gagets to make everything work.

Then don't use a reactor. :)

There are calcium probes. Never seen an akl one though.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~controllers_american_marine_pinpoint_calcium_monitor_information.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~controllers_american_marine_pinpoint_calcium_monitor_information.html</a>

Nothing's impossible. Maybe improbable. But not impossible.

Well, I just said it existed. I didnt say it was worth anything. We had one at Cap Bay, but I never once used it... Maybe a degree of maintenance, probe cost, and inaccuracy renders it useless...

Alk might be hard to measure since it is measured by dropping a ph to a certain level, not sure how a probe would do that.

Mag is crazy to test with a kit, so you might need 2 or 3 probes that measure something and a computer running it through a formula to get MG, if that is even possible.

Magnesium, Strontium, and Calcium all show up as positives on a magnesium test. The step when the test turns white is your precipitating out the calcium. Sr exist at such a low quantity (8ppm) that it's negligable when compared to the amount of mg(1290ppm), and is ignored in the test results for that reason.

I have the elos kit which doesnt have the white stage. I think it has a green one and an orange one. I guess its still precipitating, somehow though.

Danny, all business allegiances aside (if you have any) what is your preffered Mg test kit? My Elos and Seachem are very different, but I just trust the Elos because it costed more... :(

Just for the record I had a college Prof always say,

"Nothing is impossible, some things just take longer than others".

I use Seachem and have always been happy with it. One of the main reasons is that it comes with a reference sample so you can run a reference test with a known quantity of magnesium to assure your test is accurate. It also gives a very clear color change response.

Back