Calcium Reactor

petrasb

Market
Reaction score
I have been set up and running for 4 months now. Everything is good except Nitrate, it only takes 1 week to go from 5 to 20 after a water change. I feed very lightly and have even skipped a day here and there to see if there was any difference. I was thinking of getting a Calcium reactor or kwlk reactor and using the benefit of it and adding some nitrate sponge material in it to lower my nitrate. I do a 20% water change every month. I have a 175 bow front with 30 gal sump, 75 gal refuge. A total of lbs of live rock and lbs of live sand total. With lots of "Cheato" in my refuge and 4 clams in my display to try and help the nitrate issue. I have no problem with Alk, Cal levels now, but would like some input. Invest in a reactor, or just do more water changes. Or is this just an issue that goes away after being set up a little longer. I do have a lot of acros/sps as well. I have no problem keeping calcium levels at 500 now.

Thanks

I also wanted to ask if my Skimmer could be the issue. I have a css220 on it. Could it be too small being my total volume is about 300gal? I get a full cup of junk every 5-7 days.

What is your sand bed like?!? You did not say exactly how deap or how many lbs of sand and rock you had. Most likely increase your water change from once an month to once every two weeks. Also how many fish you got in that 175?!?

petrasb wrote: I also wanted to ask if my Skimmer could be the issue. I have a css220 on it. Could it be too small being my total volume is about 300gal? I get a full cup of junk every 5-7 days.

:wow2: While reading your first post, this was my first question that came to mind. I'd say that a skimmer upgrade would be a major step in the right direction. If your Ca+ and KH are already in line, I would say use your expenses on a skimmer before adding a Ca Reactor.

I have about 20 fish in the 175 between 2"-6". My sand bed in 175 is 2" deep and in my 75 refuge about 3-4" deep. I have about 250 lbs of good live rock and most of it has been from an established tank. I will start doing water changes every 2 weeks and I just threw in 1 bag of carbon and 1 bag of nitrate sponge in my sump. I did recently have 2 small 2" fish die behind the rocks I cannot get to, so I am sure that contributed to my nitrates.

As far as protein skimmers goes, I was thinking of a MR-4 or AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer.
They are both expensive, and are more than I need, but if I every go to a bigger system, I will not have to upgrade again. And I could use some advise on which pump to get.

Thanks

Back