Call me crazy, but I'm going to try it

johnmackay70

Supporting
Reaction score
I have recently received some Lowes gift certificates, so I went there to look at the LED flood lights.

There is a line of "security lights" made by Utilitech Pro...

I bought two units:
-each unit has 2 heads consisting of 7 CREE XPE (total of 14 per unit)
-34 total watts for each unit with 2030 lumens of light output
-The color temp is not listed, but the "color" they state on the box is blue/white
-The light is actually white with a very blue tint to it.
-These where listed for $99 each online, but they where discounted to $69 each at the store in Woodstock

I will be trying 2 units + 2 AcuaticLife dual bulb T5 (36" 39 watt) (2 10k bulbs + 2 actinic bulbs) over a 40 gallon display tank...I will probably play with the 10ks at some point to get the color the way I want it, but I am actually pretty optimistic here.

So the 40 display will have 68 watts of CREE XPE LED lighting + 156 watts of T5.

Since I have no idea how the optics (if any) are set up on the LEDs, I will probably have to play with light height above the tank.

The unfortunate part of this all is I am still at least a month away from setting the tank/sump/electrical/plumbing all up, so it will be a while before I can report back with any findings.

Let me know if you all think I am crazy for trying this!!!

By the way, if this ends up looking terrible (I doubt it will), I can always put them over my sump (which is also 40 gallons) or mount them on the back of my house - so no loss if it doesn't work.

Why not try it. You'd only be crazy if you've got money tied up in coral. But, I would be interested to know what the tank will be stocked with and how it reacts.
SPS...
LPS...
Softies/Zoas...

Seth The Wine Guy;697392 wrote: I would be interested to know what the tank will be stocked with and how it reacts.
SPS...
LPS...
Softies/Zoas...

I plan on running a mixed tank, but would love to have some SPS..some Acans , montis... up higher in the tank...I have a large thin rock that I plan on using it as a shelf. Other than that I really haven't thought specifically about what LPS /Softies may or may not be in there

Here is the link to the light...there are a couple of other lights that looked promising also.

pd_205683-50881-75004W_0__

Back